Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best type??? After several grueling trips to the end of the drive & back & a couple of mamoth voyages round the block, one of the manifold gaskets started blowing. The manifolds are cast rams-horn type and are flat. The gasket was an el-cheapo swap-meet buy.

I don't want to be doing this every few months so what type are best???

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem started by using spring washers under the bolt heads. As they were tightened onto the cast iron, the spring washers (unknown to me) actually opened out due to the lubricating properties of the cast iron (probably) and hence just weren't tight enough, causing it to blow.

I'll pick up some Felpro ones from Stateside on Friday & try them.

·
capriac
1,810 Posts
as langy, felpro are great, i have ceramic coated hugger headers on 55 truck and had to tighten bolts 3 times, i still even check now and again

·
Registered
850 Posts
If you have cast manifolds and the mating surfaces are good, leave the gaskets off & use a light coat of firegum.
As he said but you can use RTV silicone as well. And make a note to tighten your bolts every 3 months or so depending on your mileage. I did this on my old pickup and never had any more problems, and I had block huggers rather than cast manifolds.

Simply put, it works.

·
Banned
489 Posts
You can't use spring washers as the heat effects them Gary, Put a bit of threadlock on them, not the permanent type though.

The problem started by using spring washers under the bolt heads. As they were tightened onto the cast iron, the spring washers (unknown to me) actually opened out due to the lubricating properties of the cast iron (probably) and hence just weren't tight enough, causing it to blow.

I'll pick up some Felpro ones from Stateside on Friday & try them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts