Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The Camino Kid
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a slight follow up to my last query i do seem to have a bit of an oil leak. A patch of oil has appeared under the car since it was last used last month and upon inspection there seems to be oil covering various parts of the sump, which is a chrome aftermarket type, and it seems to sprayed back over the flex plate and onto the bottom of the trans pan. In my last post i mentioned about changing the oil pump and thought it might be a good idea to ditch the shit chrome sump for Moroso street/strip type like they have at Real Steel to go with the new pump and pick-up. If after all this I still have a leak and it turns out the be the rear crank seal,which is the two piece type, I'm assuming that to replace this seal it's and engine out job and not a one that can be done in the car?? Again, any help and/or advice always appreciated. Roger.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Is it the early rope seal? If so you can change it from under the car,dont know if this can be done with the later neoprene seals although I dont see why not .Pull the pan and rear main and rotate the crank which will allow the engine side seal to come out.reinstall in reverse,slip the other piece into the rear main,trim to fit,replace main bearing cap and replace the sump. Chevys always leak a little bit,by the way,however meticulous you are.

·
The Camino Kid
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mikey. Thanks for that. I won't know what type of seal it is until i take it out. I know it's a early to mid 70's block and that it's had a 60thou rebore but as far as what was put back seal wise your guess is as good as mine...lol. Thx again, Roger.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
My friend says you can do it with the later 2 piece seal from underneath,he did it recently.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
My friend says you can do it with the later 2 piece seal from underneath,he did it recently.
he's sure right...I changed mine a couple of months back, just drop the rear main, & push the upper seal out, replace top half of the seal soaked in wd40, pushed round easy with my fingers. job done :tup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts