Any help would be great. Cheers brad

·
Registered
627 Posts
Need to re-place sbc rocker arm studs.
Are they threaded or press fitted?
Where can i get new ones?

Any help would be great. Cheers brad
Could be either. If the heads look to be bog stock then most likely press fit. However, converting to threaded is pretty common so you might want to check...

Real Steel is a good place to start for new studs, though I don't know for sure that they do press fit.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
If the studs have a 5/8 bolt boss on the bottom of them they are bolt in. If it's a stock head they are more than likely press in. The lack of a boss for a spanner or deep socket will denote this. I have found that the rocker threads can over time wear and the rockers jump threads under heavy use so replacing them is a good idea. Just be sure to add up the total cost of the studs (you can now also upgrade to hardened pushrods & guide plates) & machine work against a set of new heads with this already done. New heads will flow better and produce more power & have this work already done.

·
Stroker
5,501 Posts
What they said

I was luck enough to have screw in studs as I had to swap them out, you can see the hex bit, so obviously if yours aint got it they surely must be press fit.

My stud broke because the builder used crap from his parts bin with a mix of self align rockers and feck knows what else - not needed when used with guide plates.

I got arp's and roller rockers from real steel to be sure.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Jim if he used stock size slots in the rockers with a high lift cam then the rockers would have just torn the stud or themselves apart which looks like what may have happened here. He clearly didnt check any clearances during the build. A little loctite and the correct torque setting should have had those studs lasting a lifetime with the correct rockers on.

·
Stroker
5,501 Posts
Hi Adam,

yeah there were tell tale thin score marks on some studs exactly where the rocker slots go when in full movement :shake:
It only had a Performer equivalent cam in

cheers
Jimbo

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
Worth checking to see that there aren't any of these in the head.

New Set of 16 Rocker Arm Repair Studs Chevy sb sbc 283 305 307 327 350 400 | eBay

These are the repair style screw in rocker studs, used where a pressed in stud has previously come loose. These don't have the tell tale hexagon boss which mates against the head, They're just screwed into the head. You'll spend a long time trying to pull one of these out by the usual method -guess how I learnt this?

If you get the head really clean and inspect the rocker stud bosses in the head very carefully, you can see the start of the thread where these have been used, so will know to put a stud extractor on the stud and wind it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts