Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While browsing some oval stuff, came across a threat to Mildenhall oval, seems people moved close , claimed they never knew anything about a greyhound, speedway and stockcar track just round the corner, looking at calendar they run 4/5 nights a week, have nearly succeeded in shuting it down. at supreme court next.

Cannot post a link, but can be found at RDC/ most oval sights with more info/full details. The follow on if they shut there could set a precedent for all motor sport venues, plus music venues etc.

I know more doom and gloom, I might buy a house in that quite village poddington !!!!

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
If that's the case, they should all be taking legal action against the brain deads tht did surveys for them.
Surely something like a race track at the bottom of their dez rez garden would be noticed. I believe the same thing happened at Mallory Park.
The 2.4 company car, and children crowd, no fooking common, moan about the noise of cars, whilst all out cutting the grass on a Sunday, and trying to keep up with the Joneses, whilst the Joneses are tying to keep up with them.

Tossers.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Had this years ago when I bought a house near Silverstone. There was a WW2 airfield down the road with a private airstrip and the Rally School. Some knob knocked on my door one day and asked me to sign a petition to close down the flying school.

I explained in gentle terms that the airfield has been there since the war and I'd been there a few years. What rights did I have to ask for the airport to be closed. It was a fairly short and efficient discussion and they never came back :wanker:

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
I had a similar experience but in a slightly different way. I built my bungalow next door to a dog breeder. He had 50 or more dogs on his land and several people came to visit over the next few years and all said they'd complain about the noise of the dogs, I explained that it was my choice to build there and they were there long before me, what right would I have to move them on. After a few months we got so used to them we never heard them. The strange thing was when we woke up one morning and didn't hear them we noticed it and the whole family dogs, vehicles and everything had done a midnight flit without us knowing a thing. God knows how they managed it, they had several vehicles including a lorry that they took the dogs to shows with, we never heard a thing.

·
Fat 'n' Loud
4,766 Posts
FFS! Before long there won't be anywhere left apart from housing estates and shopping centres.

I live about a mile from Donington Park and I can hear the racing from my house.
There is currently a planning application to build a big housing estate next to the track so I should imagine that as soon as the new houses are built and lived in the new residents will be complaining about the noise from the race track that no-one told them was there.

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,446 Posts
Incredible, absolutely incredible. Why is it "so British" to interfere in things that really are fuck all to do with others? I notice their house burned down in 2010, I wonder if they complained about the noise from the fire engine sirens?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live in Knighton Powys, where there is a clock tower in the middle of the town. This as chimed every 15 mins for the last 150 years. A woman brought a b&b close to the tower and after 18 months complained to the county council that it should be stopped at night. Fortunately people power seems to have won and she has withdrawn her complaint.

·
Fat 'n' Loud
4,766 Posts
Seems a bit of a coincidence that their house burned down. I wonder if they claimed on the insurance? I would imagine they bought it at far less than the insurance value in the first place as it would be difficult to find a buyer for a place 500yds away from a speedway track.

Reading between the lines it looks like they thought they could make a few quid out of compensation for the noise and it all ended up getting a bit out of hand. Possibly because of a little opportunism 50 odd people are going to lose their jobs, the owners will be bankrupt and the local economy will take a hit. Still, at least Mr. & Mrs. Greedy have come out with £20,000 and an insurance payout.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Could any body set a link up to the petition, looking good so far, I found it on the autospeed site, or start a new thread, as said earlier the longterm effects are not good if this decision is not reversed. I find roundy/roundy boring but where next ??.

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
Could any body set a link up to the petition, looking good so far, I found it on the autospeed site, or start a new thread, as said earlier the longterm effects are not good if this decision is not reversed. I find roundy/roundy boring but where next ??.
Very good point, hednesford raceway is not too far from me, (used to race there in my banger days) its been there since the fifties, there's a campaign to get that closed as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts