Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If Scotland gain independence and have to leave the pound what do you think their currency should be called?

A few suggestions :

the ewe,

the dram,

the dirk,

Any others?

·
Heavy Oiler
2,504 Posts
McDollars?

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Err...the pound. It's a Union currency, not just English.
Yes, but if Scotland leave the UNION, it's no longer Scottish currency....as you said, it's UNION currency!!!!! :tup:

I'm not for the split....although I'm as English and proud of it as the Scots are of being Scottish. The sad thing is, as I understand it, the rest of the UK would actually be richer in the short term if we did split. The amount of 'subsidies' or money that flows into Scotland because of the richness of the South (London especially).

I also feel that if Scotland want to split, that is their right, BUT it surely has to be all or nothing. They cannot pick and chose what they want to keep such as the 'UNION' currency. They will become a new country and will need their own infrastructure. It will be a bloody nightmare to sort out!

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Something no one seems to mention is what happens to all the MP,s that are Scottish but hold seats in England?

I presume we have a few elections :D and a lot of unemployed MP,s

So bring it on

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I hear Greece are having a few issues with money

Maybe we should let them have our Pound as well :D

·
richard rawlplug
8,120 Posts
the deep fried mars bar.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
If it isn't the Pound then surely it will be the Euro :beuj:
They can't use the euro unless they are in the European union. They won't be as it is the United kingdom that are currently in. Scotland would have to apply for membership. Which would make me ask, "If they want independence, why would they join the common market?"

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Technically, if the union is broken then all bets are off.
Common sense dictates a continuation of the pound.
Why? the only beneficiaries, as far as I can see, would be Scotland. How would the rest of the UK gain from Scotland keeping the pound? And, using the same currency as 'us' hardly sounds like independence.

·
fat rotbox rodder
5,805 Posts
if Scotland become an independent country apart from the currency will there be passport control on the borders

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
if Scotland become an independent country apart from the currency will there be passport control on the borders
Before anyone says no, because there is free movement in the European union...please see posts above. Scotland won't be in the union. However, I can't see border controls happening. But, of course, that would open up a whole new can of worms. Illegal immigrants using Scotland as a way to get into England...perhaps?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Before anyone says no, because there is free movement in the European union...please see posts above. Scotland won't be in the union. However, I can't see border controls happening. But, of course, that would open up a whole new can of worms. Illegal immigrants using Scotland as a way to get into England...perhaps?
They wouldn't want to come into England because Sammond said Scotland will be so much better off :D

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
They can't use the euro unless they are in the European union. They won't be as it is the United kingdom that are currently in. Scotland would have to apply for membership. Which would make me ask, "If they want independence, why would they join the common market?"
excactly, all these yes voters saying they dont want to be ruled by a government 400 miles away yet the first thing salmond wants to do is join europe :wtf:

·
fat rotbox rodder
5,805 Posts
I was worried someone would think I was taking the piss but it was a genuine question .this sounds a silly question but I take it the passports for Scotland will have Scottish passport on them. would this mean people that were born in England /wales ,northern Ireland that moved to Scotland to live will end up with dual passports

1 - 20 of 100 Posts