Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 661 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The project is to build a car from scratch, a one off.
The cars criteria:
• Fast (for a road car)
• Good handing, brakes and steering.
• Safe
• Comfortable (water proof/heating as it will be in Scotland)
• Environmental unfriendly
• Cheap as possible to build (minimum out sourcing)
• Try to make it look nice (very hard)
Main manufactures components required:
• Engine: SBC
• Gearbox: GM 400
• Prop shaft
• Front axle S3 Jaguar
• Rear axle XJS (in-board discs with LSD)
• Wheels and Tyres
The next decision is to select the type of chassis for a car. I looked at three chassis, ladder, space frame and backbone. Decided upon a backbone chassis but would include a steel floor and doors with side impact protection.
So now I can start the project with a trip to the Jaguar scrap yard for the front and rear axles. After money exchanged and a nice delivery from TNT I am the proud owner of two old Jaguar axles plus a steering column. The first job was to sort out the front axle.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rear axle

The next job is to de-cage the rear axle so it can be integrated into the chassis.
Because the car will be lighter than the Jaguar I intend to replace all the suspension units. After a few emails Gaz shocks came up best with coil overs/spring ratings to approximately match the weight of a cobra copy. This purchase has broken the first rule of the car criteria of being cheap! But they are very nice. I also changed various bushes, seals, shafts and also the discs.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Chris
I am with you now, sorry about that, yes the car will have to undergo a DVLA test and will end up a Q registration.
Style is a problem. I have had a look at concept cars (thanks gasserboy) and prototype cars. The biggest problem is the glass. In a modern car the glass is bond to the windscreen frame and is a structural part of the chassis. I intend to use a windscreen with a rubber seal which is non-structural.
With the engine the front and trying to achieve the best possible weight distribution the windscreen angle will be restricted because of the engine position.
So the plan is to build a jig and position front and rear axles on the jig and then to position engine and gearbox. The next stage is to build the chassis connecting all the components together. When this has been competed the floors, steering, seating position, brake and accelerator pedal position, inner door frames/hinges, bulk head, rear fire wall, roll bar can be added as well as positioning the windscreen and radiator. After this with the aid of beer (for creative purposes only) style will come, if not I will just enjoy the beer.
Cheers Andy

·
Registered
121 Posts
Blimey, you don´t waste any time! Should be done by next weekend at this rate.

If you want any help photoshopping a body design then let me know.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
love it. i love the garage scene, so many talented people with great ideas.

cheers vin

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Oh boy I am gonna regret this but............
I smell something and it smells like rat.
Yesterday I read the following:
So the plan is to build a jig and position front and rear axles on the jig and then to position engine and gearbox. The next stage is to build the chassis connecting all the components together. When this has been competed the floors, steering, seating position, brake and accelerator pedal position, inner door frames/hinges, bulk head, rear fire wall, roll bar can be added as well as positioning the windscreen and radiator. After this with the aid of beer (for creative purposes only) style will come, if not I will just enjoy the beer.
Today the first two stages of that list are done.
I call shenanigans.
I would love to see a picture of this project taken today.
Now let the abuse begin.

1 - 20 of 661 Posts