Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
641 - 660 of 661 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #641 ·
I started work on the templates for the side air inlet for the rear brakes. The lower part of the backing plate will accommodate a 50mm ID fitting which connects to the air pipe which feeds cool air over the brakes (one each side). The blue foam was cut and shaped to fit the backing plate and the curve of the window. Once I like the shape of the foam template a metal one will be made and this will be fitted to the door with the air vents cut into it. Andy

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #645 ·
New rear frames

Thanks guy's :tup:

For those who can remember I put the first set of frames for the front arches onto the rear and made a new set for the front (first picture). Now I am working on the rear of the car the slope of the frame on the old arches looked to shallow and would not blend in as well with the rest of the rear panels so I made a new frame with a greater slope. Andy

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Looking great Andy,I can't wait to see more .I have probably missed it but are you still forming the outside skin in ally ?????.:)

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Like the idea for doing your wheel arches, nice to see progress as well

Jeff

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #648 ·
Looking great Andy,I can't wait to see more .I have probably missed it but are you still forming the outside skin in ally ?????.:)
Thanks Mark and yes the plan is still for an ally body although changing from steel (roof/door shell etc.) to ally and joining them will be interesting. Andy

·
Registered
160 Posts
No sound appears to have no picture either :unsure:
Last seen 4 months ago so still around, wonder whats happened to the scratch built??

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #658 ·
Evening all,
Well after a bit of a break I through I better check the garage to see if the project car was still in there, and it was. So after a bit of a sort out in the garage, some new tooIs and a new heater. I then started to have a look at where I was up too. Anyway to cut a long story short I need to enter the “land of the redo”

So what I did not like:
  • Headlight mounting bracket. Reason; cannot adjust the headlights in the vertical plane which I think will be handy fitting the headlight units into the bonnet cut outs.
  • Single door hinge. Reason; wear to pin/maintenance difficulties.
  • Shape of what door skin will look like (once made). The shape is mainly determined by the inner door frame end sections, and it’s to basic and needs to be far more complex in shape and the design needs to flow from the door into lower part of the front wing (air vent behind the front wheel etc.).
However, one of the problems using the English wheel by yourself is you can only wheel relatively small panels. It really needs two people to put a low crown in say a door skin. So to get around this problem I have built a support platform. Its adjustable so as the crown starts to form in the sheet steel you can lower the platform by 1mm or 2mm at a time to keep the panel supported. The surface of the platform top is steel so its steel on steel so low friction, unpainted but I do put a drop of oil on the top to lubricate it but mainly to keep the rust at bay. Also by removing the top sheet it doubles up as a bead roller table.

Now I just need to make something for the car!

641 - 660 of 661 Posts