Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some light scratches on my screen left by the previous owner using old blades, is there anything I can use to polish them out?

·
Premium Member
14,689 Posts
run your fingernail across the scratches. if you can feel them its fu**ed. by the time you polish deep enough to get rid of them there'll be ripples/grooves that will show (like looking through old fashioned glass) and the wipers won't clear properly. neil.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can only feel one of them, but that's out the way so not worried about not seeing it. Can't feel the others just don't know what to use?

·
Engine Room
952 Posts
My mate is in Austraila in the glass industry and they use tooth paste yep tooth paste on the minor scratches he said it takes quite a while but they have had some great sucess with it, worth a go eh

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I used to use toothpaste to polish the scratches out of my wristwatch glass,it'd take a long tedious time to do a windshield tho'

·
Premium Member
14,689 Posts
windscreen companies are normally set up to polish out scratches and you can claim it on your insurance too. doesn't usually affect no claims either. also usually no excess to pay for screen repairs. neil.

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you go to a local glass processing shop and ask can they sell you a small amount of cerium oxide powder, ( they use it on glass processing machines) mix it with some water into a paste then try and rub /polish out the marks on your screen , it wont be easy but it can be done as long as the scratches arent to deep.

·
1972 Formula 350 owner
673 Posts
If you go to a local glass processing shop and ask can they sell you a small amount of cerium oxide powder, ( they use it on glass processing machines) mix it with some water into a paste then try and rub /polish out the marks on your screen , it wont be easy but it can be done as long as the scratches arent to deep.
Snap, my father used this on his own screen for his truck... gets everywhere though so is a bit messy, the result is worthwhile though. Cant remember where he got the stuff from but i can ask him tonight for you though, may even possibly have some left over...

Marc

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll have a look about tomorrow see if there's any where local I can ask about selling me some. If not I'll give that kit from Frosts a go. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
337 Posts
When I worked for a window company, we were sent a glass polishing kit by head office. This was a proper professional job, with a modified angle grinder and a selection of mops, polish etc. As usual, the salesman had promised we would save a huge amount of money not having to replace scratched sealed units.

So, we grabbed a bunch of sealed units from the scrap rack, and added a scratches to them. Nobody who tried the kit managed to make them any better; most, including me, just made them much worse.

I dumped the kit under a bench in the stores, and forgot about it. It wasn't even worth stealing when I left!

·
Who promised you tomorrow
2,579 Posts
These kits aren't very successful. At best you'll make it fade slightly, at worse you'll distort the whole area. Bit like using a mop on paint, if you know what your doing you have half a chance, if not you'll screw it up. Just remember to mix the rouge not to thick and keep wetting it. PM me if you want any help.

Cheers Dan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts