Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know when you see that something is say, 750 ft above sea level, is that with the tide in or the tide out?

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nah man i aint having that, the sea comes right up the beach at bognor....

·
"call 0-800 Apocalypse"
5,229 Posts
You know when you see that something is say, 750 ft above sea level, is that with the tide in or the tide out?
depends,,, if you see it at the top of the sea, or the bottom.:beuj:

·
Premium Member
6,696 Posts
its measured from an average using barometric pressure. I remember that from School ( but that was several years ago.........)
If you stand at the seashore high or low tide, and your eyes are at 6ft then the horizon will be 3 miles away.........might come in handy sometime!

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
depends,,, if you see it at the top of the sea, or the bottom.:beuj:
and would also depend on how much deeper the ocean would be if there were no sea sponges.........

·
Heavy Oiler
2,504 Posts
its measured from an average using barometric pressure. I remember that from School ( but that was several years ago.........)
If you stand at the seashore high or low tide, and your eyes are at 6ft then the horizon will be 3 miles away.........might come in handy sometime!
Not necessarily. You could be looking inland at the cliffs.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Can't believe you don't know the answer to that FLIPPER. What's that Flipper there's a f*** off huge great white shark in the water and you don't give a s**t how high it is above sea level you wanna live on the land now. :incheek:

Sorry I'll get me coat.

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can't believe you don't know the answer to that FLIPPER. What's that Flipper there's a f*** off huge great white shark in the water and you don't give a s**t how high it is above sea level you wanna live on the land now. :incheek:

Sorry I'll get me coat.
lmfao!

·
Registered
12,503 Posts
No matter what you don't wanna be living below sea level - when that spring tide happens again on the east coast and forces it way up the Thames everyone will be fooked!

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Several years ago Gary? I reckon you advised Noah when to set sail. We did learn some interesting stuff back then though. I guess the maritime stuff might have been more relevant in your neck of the woods. I don't recall any tide warnings at High Barnet Tube station.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Sorry to be anal about this but sea level is determined at a point on the coast at Newlyn in Cornwall, All the OS marks on maps of the British Isles are done from that one point so 750 feet above sea level is 750 feet above the point at Newlyn.
Guess who did a surveying course at a building college along time ago. I'll get my coat now.

·
richard rawlplug
8,133 Posts
does this apply to canals....????

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Hello Flipper. Dont really matter whether the tides in or out if your at 750feet above either your dead when you hit the ground.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts