Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone remember this project in Custom Car back in the day? I'm pretty sure it was a Avenger! I think CC funded it ,and it was being done by a bodyshop. I think the car may have been brand new.The project seemed to fizzle out ,and Im not sure whether it ever got finished?

·
Premium Member
5,808 Posts
It was chopped and sectioned with custom fropnt and rear ends. Built by Pete Farries who had a scratch built steel T bucket called Black Widow I think. He even cast his own ARE style 5 spokes for it. A later project of his was a steel A sedan turned delivery which eventually became the 'Fruit Machine' delivery when finished by someone in Scotland. A very talented guy.

·
Registered
200 Posts

This was from the early eighties. Pete Jackson from Kidderminster had it. Member of the "Mid West Street Machines". Bought it off his mate.

It still had the dents on it from when the models sat on it. I can always find out the latter history of it. I think it went back to his mate and then it stood for a decade or so. It was more than likely swept up and weighed in.

Acker

·
Nostalgia freak
4,994 Posts
hurleft Bob always amazes me with the pics he finds:tup:

Edit... for such a radical car i dont remember seeing the Avenger pictured much in the mags back then.

·
Banjo snapper.
3,507 Posts
I'm pretty sure it was sponsored by Shell. It was white with black windows & black covers over the headlamps.

·
Registered
777 Posts
your right it was sponsored by shell and had shell stripes on the sides and I think over the bonnet and boot. Had a feature inc a build up and design in CC in the early to mid 70s...sumat tells me Chrysler even donated the car

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
How the hell did you find that?
It's easy when you're a sad old bloke who needs to get out more, instead of trying to borrow every UK custom mag ever printed and scanning all the Britrod/custom stuff.
Bob

·
richard rawlplug
8,114 Posts
I seem to remember it was built in Nottingham.
Is that where Pete Farries was from?
think hes from clifton way....me and pop went to see him a few years ago and he was doing an el camino with a glass firebird front end,he had a real nice 400 pontiac motor on a stand for it..he is a top bloke with the sticky itchy stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all

This looks like the right place for this question.

I am journalist doing a piece on the Pete Farries designed "Alien" that he built for 1970s Doctor Who, Jon Pertwee.

I am trying to track down the car and the man (Pete that is not Jon!).

I think the car was sold some years back at auction having been mislabled as a boat!

Anayway, any information anyone has would be gratefully received. :)

Cheers

Richard

·
Mr Invisible
1,510 Posts
I wondered at the time with that car just what Chrysler/Rootes thought about the roof chop.
The way Avenger was designed meant that the stresses from the front suspension were fed up the A-Pillars and Rootes even went as far as to say that aftermarket sunroofs should not be fitted because they would seriously weaken the strength of the shell.
There were stories at the time of cars that had been fitted with those 'casette' type sunroofs sagging in the middle due to the loss of integrity.
When the factory started to fit sunroofs there was significant strengthening involved.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts