Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone of you lovely lot know what material was used to make the Selector forks in a Ford 2000E 3 rail gearbox?

The new ones are made from Brass, these originals seem a bit harder

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
Presume your intending to build up the fork? are you going to be using Oxy Acetylene or TIG -The Aluminium and/or Manganese bronze (they're pretty much the same composition) fork is likely to have a fair bit of Zinc in it that's likely to sh*t up your Tungsten if you want to use TIG to lay the metal on.

If I was using Oxy Acetylene I think I would use a 9% Nickel bronze rod to build up the faces of that fork.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Presume your intending to build up the fork? are you going to be using Oxy Acetylene or TIG -The Aluminium and/or Manganese bronze (they're pretty much the same composition) fork is likely to have a fair bit of Zinc in it that's likely to sh*t up your Tungsten if you want to use TIG to lay the metal on.

If I was using Oxy Acetylene I think I would use a 9% Nickel bronze rod to build up the faces of that fork.
Yes looking at building up the fork, can use either Oxy or TIG so just need to know the best rod to use and where to get hold of them that isn't in a bundle that costs a fortune :)

I noticed the 9% nickle bronze rod you suggest is probably sifbronze does that work ok on the forks?

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
Yes looking at building up the fork, can use either Oxy or TIG so just need to know the best rod to use and where to get hold of them that isn't in a bundle that costs a fortune :)
Unfortunately anything other than bog standard rods seem to cost a fortune; I've found that it's difficult to get suppliers to split a pack when they can't be sure that there will be another punter coming along for the remainder anytime soon.

I noticed the 9% nickle bronze rod you suggest is probably sifbronze does that work ok on the forks?
As well as general racecar fabrication stuff, I have used these rods to weld up a bronze vintage car water pump, not sure about your clutch fork, there isn't a huge amount of Aluminium in most Aluminium or Manganese Bronze alloys, so from a a melting point perspective the Nickel rods should be OK. Nickel Bronze is really hard, but machines well. Brass and bronze are as soft as toffee at any sort of red heat,so it'd be worth placing the fork ends on a fire brick or a chunk of Supalux before you get to work.

If you're not familiar with the 9% rods, as well as hard facing, they were/are used for "Nickel Bronze Welding" where a bead is laid down at dull red heat. Early space frame racing cars were assembled with this technique which gives excellent joint strength with minimal distortion provided that the bead is properly "sweated" forward like this:

The thing that's not clear in the video is that the Oxy flame will be "soft" or carburising in that there will be a bigger cone than you would normally use for gas welding. BTW, You use ordinary brazing flux with these rods, but only use a tiny bit or the "flaring" caused by the flux makes it really difficult to see what you are doing.

If you want to give the 9% rod a go, PM me your snail mail address and I'll bend up a rod and put it post it to you, IIRC mine are 2.4mm dia, so one rod should easily do a bit of practice and that fork.

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
Glad to hear that the rod and flux arrived OK, there's enough there to get some practice with the technique :noob: before you have a go at the main event, be good to see the results on the forks posted up here. Best of luck with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts