Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody sold a car to anybody in France ??????
I have a guy who seems really interested in buying my 56 F100 who lives in France he is trying to find out if he can just buy it and put it on the road over there without too many problems,he has had experience bringing stuff in from the states and has told me it was a nightmare hence he is hoping it will be much easier to buy from the UK,Is there anything i should be aware of or even need to make the buyer aware of, or is it just the same as selling to anybody else
Cheers KEV

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
as long as the car is registered properly, he shouldnt, besides tons of paperwork having any problems

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
its much easier in germany! just make sure he pays you in sterling as euros are worth sfa and you will need a van to take that many notes to the bank

·
Premium Member
11,239 Posts
Hi Kev,

Best to send a PM to "KerbycrewGary" he lived in France until last week or "DjNeil" he is still out in France, but as far as i can remember from post's they both made in the past because of the hassle with the paperwork and the restrictions imposed on old cars out there they just popped back to england once a year on a visit and moted etc while they were here.

Cheers.

Russ.

·
Woodchipper Extraordinair
2,305 Posts
My old man sold his Model A to a guy in Paris, it must have been fairly easy for the guy to get it sorted out as we had no end of emails from him saying how much he was enjoying getting out and about in the car, will speak to my old boy tomorra and see if i can find anything out.

·
Premium Member
11,239 Posts
its much easier in germany! just make sure he pays you in sterling as euros are worth sfa and you will need a van to take that many notes to the bank
Hi Mark,

I can't see how that is a problem with a 500euro note = to about £420.

£10,000 = a little under 12,000euros, you can have 12,000euros using as few as 24 notes you try doing that in sterling you need 20 x £50 notes just to make a grand.

Cheers.

Russ.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Hi Mark
I'd take the money and run. You would be better off having him do a transfer to your bank than have any cash involved.
If it is modified he will not be able to register it in France. If it looks like a stocker he will.
Since last year any vehicle brought to France must be on French plates within one month. It is the buyers problem.
I cannot register my Mercury out here or my Triton (going up for grabs if anyone is interested.
If I can help in anyway pm me and i'll give you my number so we can chat.
Your only responsibility is to declare it as permanently abroad on your V5 or whatever it's called.
Best
Neil

·
Mr Cadillac :-)
1,721 Posts
Sold 4 cars to French people last year. Be prepared for 2 French guys to turn up and then spend and hour picking your car to pieces, a lot of head shaking and tutting, whilst talking to each other in their native tongue and completely ignoring you, then trying to kick you up the bollocks on the price you already agreed. Make sure you tell them everything about the truck before they come and they have plenty of photos highliting any poorer areas. Stand firm on the money, theyve come a long way to go home empty handed

If you take the Euros some banks will charge a commision to change it over to Sterling when you pay it in.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Hi
forgot to mention you will need to do him a letter to say all duties have been paid(import tax and VAT)
If it is stock he will simply register it as a voiture de collection
Best
Neil

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
i sold my old 37 Cabriolet to a guy just outside Paris, he viewed it one weekend, paid by bankers draft or cheque (cant remember which) when that cleared he flew over a week or so later, we drove the 37 to Heathrow, he landed, walked to the car park with just a jacket, jumped in said our goodbyes and he was gone heading for the ferry, real weird following out of the airport with him heading one way and us the other............

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to you all for the help and advice
It looks like most of the problems will be on his side,the truck is all correctly registed in my name with v5c as 1956 Ford F100 engine size 5700cc historic vehicle so should be ok there ,i think the stumbling block maybee the modified bit as there is not much left that hasn't been messed around with, we will see hey,also how do i prove that all dutys etc have been paid its been in this country well over 15 yrs but i have no paperwork to prove anything,just presuming its all ok as it has had a fair few owners and surly it would have been picked up on by now if something was adrift ,he said he would pay me in £ sterling if we go ahead ,so short of him slipping me a load of duff notes i should be ok,seems a real nice genuine bloke on the phone,so will just have to sit tight and wait and see.
Thanks again for all your replys
Cheers KEV

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Thanks to you all for the help and advice
It looks like most of the problems will be on his side,the truck is all correctly registed in my name with v5c as 1956 Ford F100 engine size 5700cc historic vehicle so should be ok there ,i think the stumbling block maybee the modified bit as there is not much left that hasn't been messed around with, we will see hey,also how do i prove that all dutys etc have been paid its been in this country well over 15 yrs but i have no paperwork to prove anything,just presuming its all ok as it has had a fair few owners and surly it would have been picked up on by now if something was adrift ,he said he would pay me in £ sterling if we go ahead ,so short of him slipping me a load of duff notes i should be ok,seems a real nice genuine bloke on the phone,so will just have to sit tight and wait and see.
Thanks again for all your replys
Cheers KEV
my 37 remained unchanged except for a change of steering from right to left, and a different licence plate

·
ClassicUSAutoparts
920 Posts
Hi, I would not take Cash, it is a lot of work to check all those notes, even if you have a scanner, have the guy bacs the money in to your bank, so he does not get the car until you have the money in your account, I remember checking £10,000.00 in a toilet at the docks when I sold a 32 Tudor to a guy from Norway. Dick

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah see what your saying about cash,there are a fair few duds around at the minute, the only problem i see is i don't think he will commit untill he has seen it in the flesh hence why he said he would bring cash so if every thing is to his liking he will pay me and take it there and then to save a further trip to collect it ,if he don,t like it for any reason he just takes his money home.
Can a bacs transfer be done there and then over the phone so i could confirm with my bank or does it have to be pre arranged
Cheers KEV

·
ClassicUSAutoparts
920 Posts
Hi, The guy who purchased my vehicles, flew over to Luton on a Thursday, I picked him up, he stayed the night in the pub across the road, he flew back to France, and then came back the next week when the money had transferred, it to a few days including the weekend,For the French to buy a vehicle from the states is not easy, that's why they are buying from the UK it is very much easier because we are both in the EU, If you have a nice motor and you are asking the right money and the guy wants the vehicle bad enough he will do what it takes. Dick

1 - 19 of 19 Posts