Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
is currently reloading.
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
off sick today, so i thought i would do something useful with my time and post up some recent progress on the chevy.

I wanted a shaved bootlid on the chevy, so decided on using a bonnet release catch as a remote means to open the boot
I happened to have one in the shed:-

the complete mechanism including the cable, striker and catch itself all came from one donor, any guess's?

here's what the bootlid looked like with it's handle

and the original lock and mechanism visible here (please ignore the recycling!)

and here's what i had left when the old mechanism came off

first job was to knock up a frame to support the catch, which would be located on the boot floor. i used 1 inch angle iron, simply because i had a load of off cuts kicking about the garage. The extension on the left hand side in the first pic is to accomodate the catch return spring (just visible). Note at this stage that I was planning on keeping the "secondary" catch (the one you have to reach under the bonnet to get with your fingers)

then I tacked it into the boot, and levelled it up

measured the height from the boot floor to the rear of the bracket, and then took it out again.
I cleaned up the boot floor where I would be welding, and also cut an odd shaped hole in the floor . I'll come back to that later

next job was to make the legs of the frame that would join the bracket and mount it off the boot floor, again using 1inch angle and tacked it into place

so far so good.
moving onto the cable, I realised that it wasn't long enough to have it mounted in the passenger compartment

so i knocked up a bracket to mount it out of site up under the back bumper

I then drilled a hole in the boot floor for the cable to pass thru, fittted a grommet and turned my attention back to the catch itself.
I mentioned the odd shaped hole in the floor. The cable release is sited so that it can be reached easily, but i wanted a back up in case the cable failed. This catch lends itself to a back up quite easily, as all i need to do was extend the release lever down thru the odd shaped hole and make it long enough that i could reach it while flat on my back with my right arm under the car. I am both skint and tight, so I had a rummage to see what I could utilise for this unseen back up lever and found this

an old dynamo adjustment bracket. my first idea was to simply weld it onto the release lever

but this made it impossible to get the catch mechanism out of it's bracket, so plan B, bolt it on instead. it is held by the same bolt which secures the release cable to the release lever

it wasn't quite long enough, so i extended it by 6 inches with some more 1 inch angle. here it is from underneath

right, emergency back up sorted, lets move on to the main event.
offered up the catch and climbed in to check that it cleared the boot lid, which it didn't

quick trim and bend, and it did!

and yes, i was in the boot of my own car taking pictures. the things we do, eh? the next time i get kidnapped, at least i will know what to expect
so, catch sorted, time for the striker. pretty easy, fit the striker into the catch, close the boot, and mark the boot lid where it touched. no pics of that bit for some reason, but it became apparent that the secondary release (the finger under the lip bit) wasn't going to work, so I trimmed it off flush with the grinder.
here is the stricker tacked into place on the bootlid

and here it is with a support bracket to stop it bending

the plan is to box it in and make it easier on the eye, but the important thing is that it works as it should
so, next up seam weld in the catch mount bracket, and a lick of rattle can black to keep the rust at bay

fit the catch and grease it up

and then weld and smooth the boot lid

I have done the plod work on the boot lid now, and have made the plate to box in the stricker and tidy that up.
All in all, it works a treat, smoothed the boot as planned, I have an emergency back up, the job took about 8 hours (not including the body work) and best of all cost me next to f**k all.

·
Stroker
5,463 Posts
Great job!

would love to have seen a nosey neighbours face as you climbed in and closed the boot! :D

·
is currently reloading.
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
simple but effectiv

secondly what were you sick with working for 8 hours

thirdly who spilt shinny black paint over your nice welding:tup:

cheers Jeff

ps: like the motor

·
is currently reloading.
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you finish frenching the headlights?
yes, i did. as soon as I've found those pics, i'll do a tech on those as well, as they were suprisingly simple the way i did them

·
is currently reloading.
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
quick update

finished the basic plod work, and blew it over with a rattle can

it's far from perfect, but the boot lid is going to be pancaked at some point in the future, so I wasn't going to kill myself getting it spot on. It certainly looks a lot smoother, though I have just noticed a nasty little kink on the trailing edge of the boot lid :(

might be time to do something about that rear valance now :wanker:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts