Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
sniffin the fumes!
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking of getting the rear door handles on the Zephyr shaved while it's in the bodyshop. Had a search on tinterweb & found a bit of info about front doors being able to be opened from inside & outside for MOT, but couldn't find anything about rear doors. I'm intending to leave the interior handles original, but is there any requirement for the rear doors to be openable from outside?

Cheers,
Robbo

·
sniffin the fumes!
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
vosa website , online manuals and guides , all your questions answered , dont need to be a tester to view
Tried some of these, but couldn't find a definitive answer. I did read on one that rear doors only need to be opened on the test to check MOT-able items, such as rear seat belts? (which I don't have). Don't know whether that's true or not!

Interesting comment about RX-8s (and other cars too, probably) - if I shaved the rear door handles on mine, then the rear doors could be opened from outside, by opening the front doors & using the interior handles.

Cheers,
Robbo

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,348 Posts
Link to wording in MOT manual

m4s06000201

Exact wording is

Method of inspection

Open and close the driver's and passenger's doors. Check that:
a. each door latches securely in the closed position
b. the driver's and front passenger doors can be opened from both inside and outside the vehicle
c. any other passenger doors can other passenger doors can be opened from outside the vehicle.

Reason for failure:

a. A driver's or any passenger's door does not latch securely in the closed position
b. a driver's or front passenger's door cannot be opened from both inside and outside the vehicle using the relevant control in each case
c. a passenger door cannot be opened from the outside of the vehicle using the relevant control

NOTE. 'relevant control' it does not say handle

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
Link to wording in MOT manual

m4s06000201

Exact wording is

Method of inspection

Open and close the driver's and passenger's doors. Check that:
a. each door latches securely in the closed position
b. the driver's and front passenger doors can be opened from both inside and outside the vehicle
c. any other passenger doors can other passenger doors can be opened from outside the vehicle.

Reason for failure:

a. A driver's or any passenger's door does not latch securely in the closed position
b. a driver's or front passenger's door cannot be opened from both inside and outside the vehicle using the relevant control in each case
c. a passenger door cannot be opened from the outside of the vehicle using the relevant control

NOTE. 'relevant control' it does not say handle
If it said handle there would be a lot of unhappy TVR owners :incheek:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts