Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody shipped in a Rod or modified custom from the states lately, if so could do with advise on what to expect cost wise along with what paper work is needed from the seller, also a good shipper preferably one that docks in the south and advise on anything i should know. Many thanks in advance :tup:

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
We do it quite a bit had a 49 Merc project come in a couple of weeks ago, its not as hard as many think.
We ship from New Jersey into Chatham in Kent, give us a call/email if you need any help.
Regards
Russ
One note it must have a clear Title to come in as a complete car.
Has anybody shipped in a Rod or modified custom from the states lately, if so could do with advise on what to expect cost wise along with what paper work is needed from the seller, also a good shipper preferably one that docks in the south and advise on anything i should know. Many thanks in advance :tup:

·
1,143 Posts
If the car is post 1950 there may be other ways of shipping that can save a large amount of money - legally. I will post all about this ................... if it pans out as my car is mid-Atlantic (fingers crossed).:tup:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, it will be pre 1950 (30/34) so an update on keeping cost town would be good soapbox, just wandering what the regs are on modified stuff and if its best not to say to much when it comes to registering it over here, or is that looked into more now with all the new regs going on at dvla?

·
1,143 Posts
Soapbox, Soapbox ? Ain't no Soapbox posting here.

Pre 1950 will qualify for a BTI dispensation. The shipper will know about this but it doesn't hurt to remind them as you will be charged a flat 5% VAT but no duty opposed to 10% duty and 17.5% VAT for post 1950 cars. (I think these figs are correct but may have changed).

If the vehicle is modified in the way that Customs deem it to be non-original modified post 1950, I guess they could withold the dispensation. It would be a brave person that argued the toss with them!

I don't know about registering a vehicle but it could be very difficult. There are folk on here that can give advice. Perhaps a different post would catch their eye?

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,362 Posts
Regarding the registration bit, it all depends on how modified from standard it is. Understanding it is quite straight forward but a bit long winded. Basically the DVLA have a "points" system, your number of points relates to how much of the cra is modified. If the chassis has any mods from standard then the car cannot be simply registered and will be sent for IVA. If you had built the car yourself it would qualify for the easier BIVA, but it is only easier of the car has been built with BIVA in mind.

Some licencing offices don't inspect imported cars, you could go in armed with the paperwork and register the vehicle and be on the road in a fortnight. However, if for any reason the car gets inspected at a later date, the reg can be withdrawn. Some offices want to inspect the car before issuing a registration, again, if they suspect the car is modified so far then it is IVA territory.

Theres far too much to go into here, look at the ACE website (www.the-ace.org.uk) and try sending a pm to Kev Rooney (Kapri on here) who knows more about the registration process than the rest of us put together.

Registering an imported modified car can be painless, but the unknowing can find themselves selling the car back to the US.......

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
One note it must have a clear Title to come in as a complete car.
yes, very true.
My brother and I have had a '49 ford truck stuck in the states since last July because the USPS :wanker: lost the title document when it was posted "special delivery" to Kingstown's US shipper. It appears to be impossible to obtain a new title without being able to provide your US social security number, US drivers licence etc. number.

One thing to be aware of with Kingstown shipping out of New Jersey is that their american agent -a company called Portland Marine- will store your vehicle in a "warehouse" which is actually an open yard in an industrial estate where the only visible security is a dilapidated 6 foot (ish) wire fence; that's where the truck is now, and that probably explains why the rear lights had gone missing when we last saw the now very sorry looking truck there last October -we have our fingers crossed for the 1/2 ton or so of spare parts that were with the truck when it left us.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Impala, and sorry to hear about your problem with the truck stueeee hope it sorts itself out. Do you need to post the title? after hearing that id rather collect in person and drop the car at the shippers with the title in hand. Can the guy you brought from get you another one?

·
Registered
118 Posts
hi i imported a 58 edsel last year. really easy to do just rang a uk agent and arranged to drop it off at a warehouse in long beach to ship home loads of different agents are about to do it just shop around a bit. .

you really need to have the us title document or pink slip as they often call it in hand when you buy a car and it must be clear. that means have no outstanding bills or ownership noted on it if its not clear you will end up having to pay anything owed before you can ship it. the title document is the proof of ownership out there without it makes things really hard and almost impossible to export. you need it to make registration easy here too.

secondly get a bill of sale with the car. you pay import duty on the value the cars worth when it arrives plus shipping costs etc. if you dont have the bill of sale the customs will value it what they think its worth here but if you have the bill of sale its often just taken as face value and you can save paying a load of extra tax. to be extra sure you can get the bill of sale notorised. in the states you get notary publics all over and for a few quid they can witness the change of cash and stamp it with a stamp. this will then virtually make valuing the car and the amount of tax you have to pay in the uk fool proof.

my car was standard so registering was easy as can be. i got an mot done then sent off my registration forms and got given an inspection date at the local dvla office. the bloke walked out looked at the chassis no and went. took 5 mins and my registratiomn arrived less than 2 weeks later. as the others say though a modified rod maybe much harder mine was pretty standard.

hope that helps a bit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts