Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for an empty Argon/CO2 shield bottle.

The 24-ish inch short fat one.

Have been offered a 5 footer but too big.

Happy to pay for refill but just not impressed with the £100 deposit when they are available out there.

Preferably Kent or Essex area.

Please PM if you have an ampty (or full) one kicking about that you can nudge my way.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
I have a CO2 one that I don't want anymore, it's about that size...

I'm coming down that kinda way (Essex) in April (early) if you want it...

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a CO2 one that I don't want anymore, it's about that size...

I'm coming down that kinda way (Essex) in April (early) if you want it...
Hi mate
Thanks for the offer, but I will pass.
I have a spare Pub CO2 bottle looking for a home too.
And have a short fat Foodstuff CO2 bottle on the welder. It came from Germany filled.

I need a dedicated stumpy Argon/CO2 bottle.

Cheers

Rian

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
have an empty one here.i am a bit away from you
Argon/CO2 mix bottle?

Short size? Around 24 inches tall and 8 inch diameter?

I may just have to look out for a Pony Express if this is the case.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you got a spare pub bottle you want rid of I'll have it off you mate???
It's yours mate.

In St Mary Hoo or if I drive by close to you, could toss it in the company car.

PM inbound.

--- New Post Merged As Per 5 Day Bump Rule ---

Have you thought about using somewhere like Adams Gas who do rent free bottles, prices seem fairly reasonable:

Hobby gas rent free gas cylinders
Great lead mate.

Thank you. Will check them out.

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
The thing is even if you have your own bottle where can you get it filled, I'm sure there must be a way but I can't see somewhere like BOC doing it.

Some other options here:

http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/topic/mig-welding-gas-suppliers-costs-150009

Also be aware that not all places fill to the same pressure so worth asking as a good deal might not be quite as good as it appears.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The thing is even if you have your own bottle where can you get it filled, I'm sure there must be a way but I can't see somewhere like BOC doing it.

Some other options here:

http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/topic/mig-welding-gas-suppliers-costs-150009

Also be aware that not all places fill to the same pressure so worth asking as a good deal might not be quite as good as it appears.
True.

Also just spoke to my mate Martin who has a bottle he took on contact years ago. £100 deposit/rental and now he has been told bottle is over 10 years old so needs a pressure test and they refuse to fill it. Also not getting bottle deposit back.

I have available for collection only in ME3 area of Rochester a 5 foot Oxygen bottle.

Had a great plan for it but wife stopped me outright.

PM please if you want it.

Its a heavy bastid.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the bottle and plates mate, really appreciate everything Grizz, :tup:
Good to meet you mate.

Pleasure re plates and bottle.

Good luck next week.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Google the 'Volkzone offer' from BOC. i was on the adams gas deal and has been said the rental is a 'one off' but the price of the gas is astronomical!. Needless to say i'm now with BOC.

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
Google the 'Volkzone offer' from BOC. i was on the adams gas deal and has been said the rental is a 'one off' but the price of the gas is astronomical!. Needless to say i'm now with BOC.
It's a balancing act, if your a light user then the lack of rental can be attractive as you will be paying BOC just to store the cylinder, you also need to check the pressure, I believe Hobbyweld and Adams Argon/CO2 mix in a 10L is only charged to 137 bar but BOC and others charge at 200 bar or higher, Southwest Gas Supplies do a rent free 10 & 20L cylinders whic I beleive are charged to 200 bar.

Southwest Gas Supplies | MIG Welding Forum

·
Registered
415 Posts
BOC bottle is charged to 230 bar for under forty quid, this includes all their additional charges. Adams was sixty odd quid for approximately half!. I think I pay around five to six quid per month for rental.

As you say its a balancing act. The problem I had was the Adams rep only came once a week on the Thursday, if I ran out of gas on the Friday I would have to drive forty miles each way to get to their distributor for an exchange.

Loads of local BOC depots and it suits me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Here's a price from Gary Dyson @ BOC
Good Afternoon,

Further to our recent telephone conversation, please see the prices below that BOC can offer you on the Volkszone deal -

Gas Supply
11-Y - Pureshield Argon Size Y (4.72m3) - £31.34 (Environment and Energy Surcharge - £1.31)

Cylinder Rental
11-Y - Pureshield Argon Size Y (4.72m3) - £54.00 per annum

All prices are excluding VAT.

·
Registered
415 Posts
That's the deal I have but I have pure argon. Also you can pay the rental on a monthly basis so you don't have to pay the whole lot at once.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I thought they'd stopped doing the volkszone deal, only honouring it for existing customers. I've got 3 bottles on it, but I'm sure I pay less than that? Will have to dig out some invoices and see.

Oh and be wary of the monthly rental thing. I took out another bottle (oxy, size Y) supposed to be 101 quid for a year, or 8 pound something a month, a negligible amount on each months bill. I getting next bill though and theyve charged £101 on it! I'm still arguing the toss with them over it a month later for them to sort out their cockup.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts