Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ready salted
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went to Silverstone over the weekend with my mate Martin who races a '70 Mustang in the HSCC series (historic sports car club). I generally help out with changing the wheels over, sticking tape on the lights & stuff like that :tup:. but it's a great day out with loads of rare & interesting cars there, here's a few pics from that meeting:-

Fueling up at stupid o clock in the morning on the way there. We left at 3.50 am to get there :sleep:

finding somewhere to pit

Only for someone to park a ruddy great bus next to us

Scrutineering was at 7.30 am, YES, 7.30 AM!!!

Ford Falcon with everything in fibreglass apart from the roof & rear 1/4's

Nice Appendix K Mustang

yes, it's a genuine Cobra :cool::D

E type Jag

Mustang coupe

Lightweight E Type

Mk 2 Jag

E type with special body

Chevron

TVR

Cool Anglia

Nice Lotus Cortina (one of many there)

All in all a good day out. Anyone else here interested in this kind of stuff??

cheers...Nige

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Liking these racers ,thanks for posting Nige:tup:
At one time the Aston Martin club hosted an open challenge race, it really was a fantastic field of cars - mk1 and mk2 jag,mustangs,galaxies,falcons,Triumph tr 4 and 5s to name a few...
The Civil Service Motoring Association also used to do a days racing at Brands Hatch with a similar varied field of cars including slightly later stuff like v12 xjs, Rover SD1s and an Orange '69 Camaro that simply powered away from the rest! The Camaro also had the biggest set of AP disc brakes I have ever seen. If any of you havn't seen these races the noise and the atmosphere is great !

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
great set of pics..

thanks for sharing. proper cars...:D

·
Having a cuppa
2,629 Posts
I'm liking these. Do the American muscle cars, Brit classics and single seaters all race together or are there separate series run on the same day?
The quality and preparation of all the cars seems faultless. It's good to see cars like these being used the way nature intended.

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
Great set of photos, I enjoy vintage circuit cars, I especially liked the Low Drag E Type.

Rog.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I do a similar thing with my friend who sprints a Dallara. He's a bit of a petrolhead as he has a Caterham he used to sprint but now uses it almost as a daily, several other everyday cars, oh & he's building/rebuilding his old altered that he used to race in the 80s. In between that he fabricates stuff & builds engines (mostly V8s). We're down at Goodwood at the end of April for another thrash around the circuit, can't wait to turn up at a meeting in my T!!!

·
Registered
993 Posts
Great pics Nige, brings back memories of when I used to crew for some friends who raced a 66 Shelby Mustang, 65 Mustang and two Sunbeam Tigers. We raced in the Anglo-American Challenge which was run by the Aston Martin Owners Club. Normally long days but always fun, especially if we took a win.

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,742 Posts
Really enjoyed these.....forgot how goood a Jag can look. When you look at the Cobra you have to ask why so many replica builders cover them in chrome and stainless when they can look so perfect.

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
A morning test session at Silverstone.

Rog.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts