Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive spent years wanting a rod of some kind and have learned a fair bit about the basics of car work by stripping my mk2 granada and rebuilding it so have been getting twitchy fingers of late. saw a rod in rochester last week in a car park and turned back for a better look. it ticked all the boxes and my son was in awe..............................a trudge through ebay and various forums etc and we put a deposit down on a rolling(barely) chassis this monday

the chassis is from a vitess and loks to be in reasonable nick. ill flap wheel it all down to check for nasty bodges and make good any bad parts. the brakes will be replaced with vitesse ones and itll all be cleaned up and repainted accordingly.
the seats for the rod are already sat in my loft in readiness....just need to sort a body

what bodies are suitable for the small chassis? id love to go down the truck route but have no idea what would fit nicley on the triumph platform. what has been done before? im open to all ideas and warnings. the engine will be a smaller herald one as once finished id like to be able to hand the keys over to my son. im sure that someone here will have seen or built something on the same chassis.

thanks in advance

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,371 Posts
If I were you I'd get the chassis shot blasted, the Triumph frames aren't made from particularly thick steel and can rust badly from the inside out, blasting will show up any weak/thin areas. Check where it goes round the diff and the outriggers will probably want replacing. To be honest its the outriggers that will limit your body choice as they're quite wide and the back ones quite long, a Spitfire chassis might be a better bet, same centre section as the Herald/Vittesse but without the outriggers.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Gary janes did some T rebodies on triumph (herald...spitfire) chassis,they looked pretty good.....one was a blue 23T,that was for sale again recently....

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,143 Posts
Jerry, I was trying to remember where I saw it for sale recently as well to add it to this thread:tup:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hi Kev,Ive been trying to remember where it was,but Im suffering brain fade ;)

Ifan,a little bit of trivia....as you know your orange 27 was originally made by Gary janes,and the number "3" 23T was bought by me from Gary a few months back....must be something in the Bounemouth air....;).......jerry

·
Premium Member
3,131 Posts
I have a Model T body that I am planning to sell;

I was planning to build something like the Ebay item above but I a change of plan means I need to sell it.

or

PM me for details.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i really like the orange body,ideally we are after something with a closed cab if at all possible. guessing due to the size of the triumph chassis itd need to be a fairly small one too.
the outriggers seem fine but the chassis was adapted to suit an ugly morgan-esque type mess so had strengthening tubes along the sides running front to back so once tidied up they should be ideal for mounting a cab onto. do like that orange body though.....................................................................................................

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
saw the 5 window one teh other day,love it loads but its out of the price range sadly.orange body looks nice,would be curious to see how itd sit on teh triumph chassis,im guessing the front would be a good couple of feet shorter which would be more to my taste. just out of curiousity, how long and wide is the main body, firewall to very rear?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
the tub is roughly 44" wide, front the front of the fire wall to where the kick up should be is 56" (the kick up is removed as i have a steel one fitted to the chassis giving longer leg room) the pickup bed is roughly 14" long.

hope this helps, make me an offer :smoke:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts