Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would I repair a small (1/4") rust hole in a differential cover? I don't want to weld it because I am worried about warping the faces, is their some sort of suitable resin available?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
buy a new cover,or weld it up,u aiint going to warp it if you weld it when it bolted anyway, personally if its rusty its fucked bin it n get a new one

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
Personally I'd weld it if I couldn't get another cover; Any distortion isn't going to matter much, it's only a lightweight cover and should pull down onto the casing OK once you wind th bolts up.

But if you don't want to weld it, take the cover off, file the hole to a round shape and put a countersunk 5/16" or 8mm machine screw in the hole with some silicone around it, and a nut on the outside of the cover.

·
Stroker
5,488 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
weld it, then smear araldite over the weld for a belt n braces job.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
thought we may have had a spare one for you here but diffrent, doh

if you do decide to weld it, maybe find something flat, sheet of wood, ya workbench etc and screw the cover down flat 1st if your worried about it bending any,

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ok, I think i'll try welding it, then smear either some araldite, chemical metal or JB weld over the top. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Code:
I can vouch for this product too, used it on a volvo rear diff for exactly the same reason! It had three rust holes actually and this stuff worked perfectly!

Marc
I used it on a core plug and a rotten thermostat housing. Go and buy some you'll be glad you did.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts