·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
It's a moderation.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good on you for sticking with it. Other people would have weighed it in and bought another shell!

Bringing back nightmares of my MGB, where ever you struck an ark, the metal would just go bang into ferrous oxide dust :rolleyes:. Ended up just buying the largest repair panels I could going right back to the seams on the shell. Never again!

·
Registered
972 Posts
If you can do it with repair panels or patching, that's great. However, it's an arm and a leg if you have to buy whole panels eg complete front wings £600 each, door shell £550 each. As a long term owner you don't do these jobs just once........... the times I've said to myself my next car will have a separate chassis and fibreglass body...........

·
Stroker
5,576 Posts
Looks like such a lot of work!

Never thought about the GT before but saw a great one in Spain last month and seems like a lush, easy to maintain car to cruise about in when I'm out there. But now frightened of rust issues :unsure:
Carry on (y):cool:

·
Registered
972 Posts
Jim, if you could buy one that'd spent its life in the south of Spain, then it could be a good buy. Like buying something from Southern California. They're still not worth a huge amount compared with other stuff from the same era and, other than corrosion concerns, are reliable and robust and relatively cheap to fix (mechanically).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Jim, if you could buy one that'd spent its life in the south of Spain, then it could be a good buy. Like buying something from Southern California. They're still not worth a huge amount compared with other stuff from the same era and, other than corrosion concerns, are reliable and robust and relatively cheap to fix (mechanically).
Classics can be bought in Spain for peanuts in rural areas... it's a night mare to purchase a car if you are not a resident and almost impossible to export as you need to be a resident or get an expensive agent to do this and since Brexit, even harder, so there is little competition to drive up prices.

I'm moving there at least for winters soon, around the French/Spanish boarder, so on the look out. Lots of 5.0 HO fords out there and the SBF is a brilliant swap into these, much smaller than the Rover and off the shelf LHD kits available. Not sure yet on legality of engine swaps, but at least a rover should be possible as it's factory.

·
Premium Member
14,803 Posts
Classics can be bought in Spain for peanuts in rural areas... it's a night mare to purchase a car if you are not a resident and almost impossible to export as you need to be a resident or get an expensive agent to do this and since Brexit, even harder, so there is little competition to drive up prices.

I'm moving there at least for winters soon, around the French/Spanish boarder, so on the look out. Lots of 5.0 HO fords out there and the SBF is a brilliant swap into these, much smaller than the Rover and off the shelf LHD kits available. Not sure yet on legality of engine swaps, but at least a rover should be possible as it's factory.
remember the rocker cover adapters for ford covers on a rover? maybe fit the ford engine and use adapters to disguise it as a rover for the 'stock' factory option deal.
neil.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·

·
Premium Member
14,803 Posts
it's great after cutting so much away when you finally start putting new steel back in. gives you such a boost.
neil.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is always a point when you think 'why did I start this?', still, you've got to carry on now. It will be nice when it's done.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
61 - 80 of 84 Posts