Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... no one left but you to contradict anything you say about your past , so what sort of life did you have ? ;)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'll be 60 in July, so it's difficult to say what it would be like at 85. But if the next 25 are as good as the last 10 it'll be great. But if they are anything like my first 50 years, they will interspersed with crap and the odd good time. But I have a feeling that if the health stays good for me and my wife, Wooopie!

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking more along the lines of tall tales that no one can call you on ;)

I've just turned 59 very unlikely I'll get to 85 , shit, I'll be more than happy to make 66 as that'll be a whole extra lifetime for me.

I'm thinking , as I get older , I may have been a stunt double for Bruce Willis in his Die Hard films.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ha got you. Well I know that the Jason Bourne character was based on me (that's true, honestly, no really) and it's up to them to prove it wasn't

·
Registered
628 Posts
Well last Monday I turned 30 and so called mate at 43 said iv got less life ahead of me than iv just left behind, I though you c... I hope you enjoy the next 17 of yours then!

On the upside iv just brought a new to me motorbike so I don't plan on making 31...

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Life is like a movie - and we are all going to miss the end . . . .

Having said that, Dad is still going strong at 89, at 56 I can't imagine competing with that . . .

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I might write down a few-paged memoir to hand out to anyone who's interested in reading my personal view of life and a few of my personal highlights. I think it's good to make your peace with the world so that you're ready to exit at any point without too much bitterness or too many hang-ups.
One of my favourite songs is by a band called the Smashing Pumpkins called 'Today' and one of the lines applies to most of us "I wanted more, than I could ever be..." which is probably an evolutionary thing in all of us. That's the way disappointments usually arrive too....

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
I might write down a few-paged memoir to hand out to anyone who's interested in reading my personal view of life and a few of my personal highlights. I think it's good to make your peace with the world so that you're ready to exit at any point without too much bitterness or too many hang-ups.
Doing that on the talked up place. Its so good to write it all down, memories, luckily backed up by others. No need to elaborate just write what happened. Sort of cleans your soul and its seems that others enjoy it. Also gives you an idea of what you have done in your life that you may have forgotten, is probably a No No in these modern times.
I would encourage you to do it.

·
Who promised you tomorrow
2,579 Posts
My Dads 86 and I always thought he exaggerated a tad about his RAF career flying Canberra Jet bombers. Tales of buzzing Arabs on camels in the Egyptian deserts, low level night time raids, he was in a night squadron and the guy that dropped the bombs, racing his Velocette Venom up and down the landing strip, etc, etc. I love hearing him talk of his days travelling the world and his childhood growing up in the middle of nowhere near Winnipeg, Canada.

Seems he's always played things down though. My Mum tells me that's only half of what he used to get up, she wasn't allowed to know about most of the raids he went on. Seems many of the pilots made the most of life and tended to live for the day. Fair play to my Dad, he always had nice bikes and pretty cool cars. Funny now though as he's as tight as a ducks arse and can't find his way to Morrisons bless him.

·
Premium Member
6,696 Posts
A doctor friend of mine went on a seminar last Friday, and he was telling me on Sunday that there are 25,000 people in the Uk of 100 or over. By 2044 (30years time) that figure is likely to be 250,000, due to medical advances. The most fascinating probability was that the first person to reach 150 had already been born!

Gary.

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
A doctor friend of mine went on a seminar last Friday, and he was telling me on Sunday that there are 25,000 people in the Uk of 100 or over. By 2044 (30years time) that figure is likely to be 250,000, due to medical advances. The most fascinating probability was that the first person to reach 150 had already been born!

Gary.
That is a scary prospect, how many body parts would need to be replaced to get to 150, definately new new knees and hips and probably a pacemaker to give the old ticker a helping hand, then there are the other bits like eyesight and hearing and bladder control to consider, not for me I'm afraid :shake:

·
Registered
550 Posts
That is a scary prospect, how many body parts would need to be replaced to get to 150, definately new new knees and hips and probably a pacemaker to give the old ticker a helping hand, then there are the other bits like eyesight and hearing and bladder control to consider, not for me I'm afraid :shake:
Don't worry, they'll be 3D printing spare parts in a few years...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Kev, both of my parents are now at that age- Dad has Parkinsons & Mum has dementia, and having to watch them both deteriorate has been incredibly upsetting for all the family.
My own life has had its fair share of ups and downs, but to be honest, if thats how I'm destined to be at that age I'd rather not reach it.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My mother in law is the same with dementia.It's a difficult thing to raise , let alone talk about but medical advances don't always improve quality of life as well as extend it. Her 'number' should have been up due to heart issues around 3 years back. Saving her and stopping the heart condition killing her has reduced blood supply to the brain and so onset of vascular dementia :(

My Dad had it before he passed a couple of years back so did Marians Dad. So she was more prepared for it than most but it's still not good to watch.

There's a big discussion still to take place about assisted dying for those who wish it. We've had 3 suicides in the family , at relatively young ages as they wanted to do it while they could due to facing heridatary Huntingdons Chorea.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm one one of three and we are each wondering which of us will contract either,neither or both conditions.
It is truely horrible to watch these things happen to those you love and be helpless to make things better. Each day is a struggle for them and I cannot help but think that this kind of suffering is wrong in todays world.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts