Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
is currently reloading.
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or what i'm doing on my easter holidays:cool:

after a suprise christmas pressie followed by a random conversation with a mate at a party recently, my lad and I have decided to build a go-kart (or soap box racer for our colonial cousins)
the idea is to turn this:-

into something resembling this:-

in order to propel this:-

down this:-

and reach speeds in excess of this:-

(ok, I admit that 200mph is a little optimistic! so long as we have a laugh, top speed ain't that much of a worry)

i'll keep you posted with each days progress

·
fixin your car
935 Posts
cool :smoke: i hope it goes as pland
so will you be taking it to the heyride ?
and mind that hill it looks nasty with all those skid marks

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Maybe a 7.62 chains gun side mounted and smoke dischargers front and rear:tup:

Maybe not practical for racing but an instant cure for the oppersition

cheers Jeff

·
is currently reloading.
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
day 1

first off, can i point out that my lad is doing all the building. He's using my tools and stuff (well power tools, he's got a good set of hand tools that we have bought piece-meal for him over the years). So if the cutting out looks a little less than perfect, thats because he's nine and this is the first time he's done this. I'll only step in to make sure it's safe and solid. Also, we are trying to do this without breaking the bank, so we're using whatever we have liying about, along with some scrounged bike wheels

So, out with the jigsaw and begin cutting

19mm ply for the base and 12.5mm chipboard for the top

the top is going to be covered with self adhesive "ally chequer plate" so will hide the chipboard look

time for a brew

and then a quick mock-up

need a couple of bits for the ends, so saw them off a handy broom handle while your mum isn't looking

screw them into place (that screwdriver is the same age as he is lmao!!)

try it on for size again, this time with steering wheel for making brmm brmm noise's

after he went in for his tea, I added a thicker support at each end, along with a couple of braces along each side for some strength. the wheels are just for mock-up, I think we will aim to get it a little lower when we do the axles tomorrow

does anyone know how to get the gear cog off a bike wheel? seems odd that I made it to the age of 40 without ever having to remove on:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
there should be a centre punch hole on the side it should be normal threaded

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey Taff, you should get him out there helping with your chevy, he'll have it finished in no time. None off that messing around like his old man, he's just grabbed the bull by the horns and got straight on with it. :pmsl:

Seriously though mate, it makes a change to see a youngster who actually wants to go out and make himself something (especially when its one of them old time toys) rather than just sitting in with the playstation.

Now don't forget that once he's done the hard bit of speeding down the hill, its your job to push/pull him back up for the next attempt.

Paul.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Damn , thats a hell of a beard he's got for a nine year old :smoke:

Good work Taff and MiniTaff , how are you rigging the steering ?

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
I think it is threads like this which prompt the existance of an 'Other Modifications' catagory, for threads of peoples builds and other projects besides rods and cars.

Looks like a super project for you and your lad!

·
is currently reloading.
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cheers all for the positive replies, i figured it was more "sod" than "rod" so better off in here.

Ian, you want to be careful enquiring about spare children on the WWW lmoa!!

Paul, he ain't going near my chevy! he's already pushing me to get it out of the way so we can crack on with his first rod :)

Ratty, it's a good job his beard match's his funky afro, don't you think?! Steering, hmmm, probably gonna be either by rod or cable stright off the steering column. The front axle is centre pivot, so I'll keep it simple, no ackerman here!!

Sqweaka, i got a few off cuts here if you want them?!?!

·
is currently reloading.
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
day 2 - axles

right so bright and breezy first thing (well, half ten anyway), and time for a pair of axles
so mark some wood

saw to length

drill some holes in it (look how long his beard got!)

and them mark some angle iron which will be bolted to the wooden axles

and bolt it on

told you he had plenty of tools

13mm spanner used in anger. and yes, we are using 8mm studding and cutting it to the desired length, cos i scrounged a load from a mate who installs suspended ceilings.

the reason behind the angle iron is so I had something to weld the stub axles onto. rear axle complete.

try it on for size

the front axle was made in exactly the same way, but was only held by the one centre pivot bolt. here it is with the front axle fitted

he insisted on a quick test drive up and down the road, dispite a lack of steering or brakes. who was i to refuse, we all know how important that first test drive is!!

parking it wheel-chair-stylee!

buggar! i can't get my fat arse into it!!

right then, tomorrow i can worry about the steering

·
is currently reloading.
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
day 3

goodie, steering.
i say goodie because young un had decided he wanted the steering wheel at an angle. If I had got my way, it would have been upright, like an old style pop, you know? but he wanted it at an angle, and it is his kart.
So, dash support mocked in place and drilled at an angle to support the column

and mock up the base pivot/lower support, which is going to need a U/J of some sort

well, i hardly ever use that particular 1/2 drive U/J, do I?

the base of the tube has a bolt welded into it which bolts through the floor

angle iron bracket on the rear of it to carry the steering rods

these steering rods, by the way, came from the folding washing line

in washing line form, they are too long for what we need

so cut them down and mole grip the two halve's together to prove the theory

cut and shut

job jobbed

between the 1000 or so of us, i'm not 100% happy with the steering. not enough lock, and a little to stiff for my liking. it all works, but it could be better, you know? a little side project for me for when he's not playing in it.
any suggestions?

anyway, he was mad keen to play in it, and i don't have any brake cable yet (it will eventually run with caliper brakes on both rear wheels), so we knocked up a rudimentry brake

it now has a metal end on it, which makes a great noise and digs up the tarmac something lovely :p
return spring

also fitted a black tuck and roll seat

side panels tomorrow

·
Banjo snapper.
3,507 Posts
When we used to build carts out of a scaffold board, we used to grease between the board & the wooden part of the front axle. Maybe an old clutch thrust bearing?

·
is currently reloading.
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When we used to build carts out of a scaffold board, we used to grease between the board & the wooden part of the front axle. Maybe an old clutch thrust bearing?
i thought about that, there are two large washers between the fllor and the axle and they have a smear of grease on them.
I've got a couple of idea's, like i said, it's pron gonna turn into an all-consuming project for me over the next couple of months lol!!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Taff , if you've got some old bicycle bits knocking around then why not mount a cut about steering stem or wheel hub into the floor and run the steering through that ? Should get rid of the bind .

Beard's coming on nicely , wish you'd do the same though , seeing your ugly mug every time I check this thread is nausiating :D

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,055 Posts
Far too high tech, rope steering is what he needs .

Taff, steering u/j angle is too steep, that's why it's stiff, tool box u/j or not taking it past 30 degrees makes it bind and so feel tight .

·
Stay cool, admit nothing
1,836 Posts
Taff, steering u/j angle is too steep, that's why it's stiff, tool box u/j or not taking it past 30 degrees makes it bind and so feel tight .
Kev, 'scuse my ignorance (you're probably used to it!), but where do you measure the 30 degrees from? The horizontal or the vertical?

In other words, should the steering column be flatter or steeper, if you see what I mean?

BTW, great go kart, Taff. When your boy's finished his, can he make me one?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts