Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Minge
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Foreign delivery lorry made a boo boo yesterday, very frustrating.

Got his details and the garage next to work quoted on parts quite quickly.

It would seem that OEM parts are the only things available, and new ( If I recall correctly,) its something like £250 for the headlight unit, £100 for the indicator unit, rough estimate of £150 for the bumper to be repaired and then the labour for that, which granted isn't much.

The lorry driver asked if I would consider settling outside of insurance and to give him a call in the next couple of days to discuss it.

I have never dealt with anything like this before, so was wondering if you guys had any advice on how to handle this?

I can get the parts for under £50 from the scrappy, and can live with the scratched bumper, especially if it means I can get paid for the time taken to fix this.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Jamie

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,372 Posts
Give him the garage quote & get him to cough it up, it's then up to you if you want to do it cheaply and put the rest towards the Cortina. You're doing him a favour not going through the insurance, no need to do him any favours by telling him you're taking a cheaper route!

·
Minge
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My concern is, if he then goes through the insurance, there is a good chance my car gets written off.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
I agree with English Impala

My concern is, if he then goes through the insurance, there is a good chance my car gets written off.
I've had similar 3 times and never had the car written off,and always came out on top financially.
In general I've always claimed the other insurance,without bothering mine, and as I type this I forgot that I dealt with one for my B-in-L in London (late November) he was offered £75 and the car .....I got him £2450 ish and the car

And No I'm not a claims manager ,Just a belligerent but charming sole who knows how Insurance companies work

·
Minge
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,

So in summary, get a quote from the garage and give him that.

If he doesn't cough up, go to his insurance?

Thanks,

J

·
Registered
130 Posts
OR

be generous about his honest mistake.
You fixing the car with a scrappy light etc and living with the bumper damage- £50-100 on top for your inconvenience seems fine

If the ball was on the other foot......what would you want to do.

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
Has anyone made a claim against a foreign insurance, interested in how you faired, I'd be inclined to go to my insurance and let them deal with it but as already mentioned it would count as an accident at next renewal.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
I think that's about it , two things Don't let anyone lift it for assessment ,and or leave it for assessment, and assessors are paid on results ,(quick clear-up rates,"light" settlements and all)

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
re foreign insurance
They are underwritten through Lloyds , hence the Lambo(s) getting lifted in the choice bits of London for no insurance,(because they were flown in)

and WB54 is spot on in that , it's recorded as an "incident"

·
Minge
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for your advice.

I will be getting a fully written quote from the garage by work and get on to the bloke tomorrow.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Don't try & "help him out", I tried this with a Polish bloke who scraped my van when leaving a neighbours house, fortunately another neighbour saw it happen & came & told us. I spoke to the neighbour whose house he had just left & he said he would speak to his friend. He did contact him & he eventually admitted that he "may" have hit my van, I got a couple of quotes £200 - 250, he said it was too much & his Polish friends body shop would fix it, now bearing in mind that my van was only a year old & to keep the 10 year body corrosion warranty any repairs have to be to approved standard, I refused to take it to his repairer as it would have cost me not having the van for a day (I would get a courtesy van from my choice of repairer or the insurers if it went that route) I have not received a penny towards the repair.
Sorry but look after no 1

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
do not consult your own insurance company unless you intend to claim. The wankers log that as an incident and use it agaisnt you in your renewal claim or not. their view is it happened and that makes you a hgiher risk.
But if you don't tell them and the other driver does for whatever reason, you run the risk of making a false declaration when taking out insurance and then if you do need to make a claim on that policy it gives them wriggle room to get out of paying....... in short you can't win.........

it's always worth remembering that when you get insurance they ask you if you have had any accidents, not if you have made any claims..........

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Someone ran in to the back of Dee's car on Sunday when she was waiting at a red light. She got a quote Monday and he paid her last night :tup:

Still, she's logged it with her insurer so that there can't be any 'misunderstanding' later. As it was a no fault accident and there is no claim it won't affect her premium but still it's better to be safe than sorry

·
longroof society member
403 Posts
Still, she's logged it with her insurer so that there can't be any 'misunderstanding' later. As it was a no fault accident and there is no claim it won't affect her premium but still it's better to be safe than sorry[/QUOTE]

Exactly the same happened to my wife a couple of years ago, classed as a no fault accident and made no difference to her renewal.

Cheers Ian

·
Registered
80 Posts
Two weeks ago i was just getting home after walking the dog when a 17 year old reversed into my car, just about to drive off when i stuck my head in his window, anyway i work in a main dealer so got a quote of £250 to have it sorted, two days later his dad turns up giving me grief with a oil rig painter who would sort it for £15. yeh right, i said to him i,m doing you a favour as i,m sure you wont want to go through the insurance, he wouldnt have it so i told him to f**k off. told his son in front of him your dads costing you a fortune here but your choice, put it through the insurance an got £400 to repair it myself, i bet the lads excess was at least £500 and next years insurance through the roof. daft c**t.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts