Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I thought I would start making a milling attachment for my lathe, which entailed boring a 4" deep 2.5"dia hole up a 3" bar, Big cuts, but no coolant, so I started using wd40 as a lube to keep the tool alive, bit smokey but cut well, only trouble was I left the connecting door between the garage and the house open, came back from walking the dog, and the smell of burnt WD was awful the house has a sort of half burnt Paraffin smell, its making me feel quite sick now, What can I do to get rid of the smell?????
What fopars have you committed :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Put my RR/sport head lights in fan oven to split bonding, stunk house out nearly making me gag, oven was nightmare to get rid of smell for days so could not cook in it as for house smelly candles!!

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
I put my new 'H' beam rods in the oven to swell the little ends for pin fitment. I then cut the lawn and forgot they were in there. The missus was not amused when she got home. There was a blue fog totally swamping the bungalow.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Came in from the pub and stuck some chips in the deep fat pan. Fell asleep on the sofa. Woke up "many hours" later... The thick smoke hanging around the whole house had settled on my face, congealed into a sticky mess and literally stuck my eyelids together. In my pissed up state I wasn't sure if I'd died or just gone blind! Had to crawl out of the house on all fours into the back garden and claw the sticky goo out of my eyes whilst gagging and being sick. When I finally was able to stand and re-enter the house all the windows, doors etc. had this brown mess stuck to them... took months to clean and the smell hung around for what seemed like ever!
Nearly as nice a smell as when I built my BSA chop in my front room. Decided to spray the paint - a home made concoction based on copper Hammerite (I know, I know) - with all the doors and windows closed and the gas fire on... let's just say it's not a process I'd recommend...
Or... when I couldn't be bothered to clean up the paint on my old Jap chopper before welding, so thought I'd save time and effort by simply burning it all off and breathing deeply of the fumes... well, how was I to know that they were basically cyanide gas...
Or...
Or...

I know, some folk should be supervised at all times :D

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Came in from the pub and stuck some chips in the deep fat pan. Fell asleep on the sofa. Woke up "many hours" later... The thick smoke hanging around the whole house had settled on my face, congealed into a sticky mess and literally stuck my eyelids together. In my pissed up state I wasn't sure if I'd died or just gone blind! Had to crawl out of the house on all fours into the back garden and claw the sticky goo out of my eyes whilst gagging and being sick. When I finally was able to stand and re-enter the house all the windows, doors etc. had this brown mess stuck to them... took months to clean and the smell hung around for what seemed like ever!
Nearly as nice a smell as when I built my BSA chop in my front room. Decided to spray the paint - a home made concoction based on copper Hammerite (I know, I know) - with all the doors and windows closed and the gas fire on... let's just say it's not a process I'd recommend...
Or... when I couldn't be bothered to clean up the paint on my old Jap chopper before welding, so thought I'd save time and effort by simply burning it all off and breathing deeply of the fumes... well, how was I to know that they were basically cyanide gas...
Or...
Or...

I know, some folk should be supervised at all times :D
Do not know about supervised sounds like you should not be let loose with anything. You are lucky to be still alive. Mind you years ago while working in Germany purposely cut through a 415v cable while up the top of a metal ladder, forgot to turn the power off before hand. Got a shock but lived to the tale.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I put a concrete tile roof on a 19ft garage with just a ridge beam - it fell in whilst I was sat on it.
I blew the front window out of the house whilst filling the edges of a door frame with expanding foam, in an 8x6 kitchen where my wife was cooking on the gas hob. Who knew it was flammable?
I ripped the belly out of a tshirt with an electric plane whilst my wife laughed uncontrollably and I screamed for her to turn it off........
Those were the days.....

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
I blew the front window out of the house whilst filling the edges of a door frame with expanding foam, in an 8x6 kitchen where my wife was cooking on the gas hob. Who knew it was flammable?
I roared with laughter at that one! Glad you're ok :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts