Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just over 1 year ago i decided it would be a good idea to buy my son his first car. He was 13 at the time so a project seemed like a good idea, father and son bonding blah blah blah. Anyway because my business is classic mustangs the obvious choice had to be an early Mustang. My contact in the U.S offered me this 65 C code 4 speed convertible and so the journey began.
Ron at STS Imports brought the car over for me (actually he ships all parts and cars for me) and his service was impeccable.
Once the car arrived we got started with the strip down. it was rusty, very very rusty this is normal for me and to be fair to my son Oliver his head has never dropped, although he did confess he thought it would never see paint. We replaced the front and rear frame rail sections, the entire floors excluding the trans tunnel, torque boxes, the complete rear of the car, and the doors. We managed to save the fenders lol. He really has put the hours in on the car and although I did the welding and the finish colour etc, he did the dirty work removing every part of rust from the car and he also had a go at spraying the silver base coats.

To date the welding is complete and the car has fresh paint, the seats have been re trimmed and soon it should be back on it's wheels.

Phil

·
Registered
350 Posts
Wow, that's going to look stunning. What an unbelievably cool first car & a great father & son project. Can't wait to see pics of this finished.

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
Full marks to both of you, what a transformation, and to see a youngster getting stuck into that much work is both refreshing and admirable. well done that lad.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Yes i agree with all the comments.
Great first car in a gorgeous candy colour, well done to you both great work.
woz

·
Registered
628 Posts
Is this the coolest first car ever!?

Good luck paying his insurance on it mate!! And top work on getting him involved

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the kind comments fellas. We have the new suspension for the car and 4 wheel disc brakes along with R&P steering to help with the safety aspect so hopefully it'll be back on it's wheels soon.

Phil

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Today I thought I would spend my day off work playing with Oliver's car. Nothing is wired as yet but the rear end is pretty much there now. The bumper was fun to get aligned but it's pretty good now. I still need to fit the rear valance exhaust trim pieces but it'll keep.

oliver finishes school this coming Friday so hopefully before we go off on our hole the car will be back on it's wheels with steering, fingers crossed....

Phil

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oliver's finished school for the summer now so another big push before we go on holiday. During the last couple of days he has rebuilt the rear end after we painted it a while ago and fitted new seals etc, the new rear springs and Koni shocks are also fitted along with the SSBC rear disc kit we bought last year. We trial fitted the rear wheels to confirm that the 8" width would clear the arch lips with some room to spare (that's why the tape is hanging) which they do, and finally he sprayed the seams inside with seam sealer ready for the dynamat tomorrow.

Phil

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another busy day for Oliver today. The rack and pinion is now fitted, although still not connected to the spindles and the rack isn't in the car yet. The front sway bar and adjustable end links are now fitted and the front disc brakes are now on the car. After work this evening I decided I would prefer not to use the stock braces for the shock towers and welded up a new stainless brace. Not sure weather to leave it bare or spray it satin black. The front end is now complete barring the bonnet trim which he's unsure about at the moment and he started on making the adjustable strut rods.

Phil

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well it's been a long time coming but this afternoon Oliver finally dropped the car back onto it's wheels pretty much since he's owned it. Lack of engine, transmission, interior and roof etc makes the car sit high than it should but I hope the smile on his face say's it all. The effort he's put into the car has paid off and to say I'm proud of him would be an understatement. Finally it's beginning to look like a 65 Mustang once again [-O<.

Phil

·
Registered
24 Posts
Boy oh boy what a transformation!

My dad did the same for me, on a cheaper and less-successful scale, with an old Rover P4 110 from 1964 that we bought for £150. We ploughed well over £2K into it over about 10 years, but it never saw the road... We ended up selling it as an unfinished project for £700, and from what I hear it still isn't on the road.

Although I now have an MG Midget, Austin Atlantic and '48 Chevy 3600, I still regret parting with the old girl and never finishing the work!

Well done for persistence!

·
fat rotbox rodder
5,805 Posts
wow ,simply stunning simply stunning:tup::tup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts