Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just putting this on here to see if anyone is interested.

do any of you remember the proper southend cruise nights from way back when???

come to think of it most friday and saturday nights!!

well me and my mate were talking a few months back and reckon it should happen again, all it would take is a few nice cars down there and word would get round.

it has a bad name now because if the hot hatch boys, dump valves, loud crappy music etc etc. now everyone has the right to modify a car in whatever form and i do feel a bit sorry for them as they are young and completely shafted by insurance.

so lets get some proper cars down there and get southend back on the map!

if anyone is interested put a note on here and when there is enough interest we will have to make a date

·
Registered
838 Posts
all it would take is a few nice cars down there and word would get round.
I`d be up for it, but as in above statement, the Valley park cruise has been going for a few years now apart from the odd night its mostly the same faces all the time?? :shake:

Never understood why? as the venue is perfect with ample parking :shake:

·
capriac
1,810 Posts
Vince, there is big changes happening to the seafront at the moment, no longer dual carriageway but single, to stop the boys from racing up and down. I think it will be a nightmare, unfortunately to cruise, too much old bill and too busy to get a chance. Shame as we could have ended up at Bobby Jo's diner for a bite!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Vince, there is big changes happening to the seafront at the moment, no longer dual carriageway but single, to stop the boys from racing up and down. I think it will be a nightmare, unfortunately to cruise, too much old bill and too busy to get a chance. Shame as we could have ended up at Bobby Jo's diner for a bite!
Tel if you count the cycle track it's still two lanes so we can still race :smoke:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
don't know about all the changes, i've not been there for ages.
as long as there is somewhere to park surely that is all we need. i know the racing and burnouts are great but plod seems to think it socialy unacceptable nowadays, time and a place and all that, mind you there are so many cameras down there now i doubt you would get away with anything.
i was thinking more along the lines of parking up, meeting mates looking at and waffling about cars?
it could always start off meeting in the car park away from the loud music and just see how things go from there? i don't really know, just looking for sugestions and ideas.
i remember the front as it used to be and it just seems a shame that it isn't still going on down there, fast food, fast cars etc

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
YOU MITE GET AWAY WITH CRUISE AND PARK UP OPPOSITE BILLY JOES DINER ON THE SEA FROUNT ON AWEEK NIGHT, MAYBE A FRIDAY ? BUT NOT ON A SATERDAY, MUCH TO CROWDED :tdown:

·
capriac
1,810 Posts
i'd give it a go, see what its like.....

Or howabout maybe meeting at the turpin on a wednesday night then cruise down to bobby and jos diner to finish the evening off in sarfend....

Just thinking out loud...
Sounds like a plan, no parking tho, unless you want to park in pay as you go with other car doors banging away on your ride!

·
Registered
3 Posts
sounds like a plan after the turpin cruise down to the front im up for it ,we should definitely get more meets going around the southend area

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yep, I am up for that, the old Saturday night cruise use to be really good, all the illuminations lighting up the sea front and making the cars look really good.

Maybe some of us could meet up at the DT and then drive up to Southend for the cruise.
Supposed to be a good summer this year!!! lets hope so, then we can have plenty of oppertunity to cruise up to Southend.

·
Registered
1 Posts
southend

just putting this on here to see if anyone is interested.

do any of you remember the proper southend cruise nights from way back when???

come to think of it most friday and saturday nights!!

well me and my mate were talking a few months back and reckon it should happen again, all it would take is a few nice cars down there and word would get round.

it has a bad name now because if the hot hatch boys, dump valves, loud crappy music etc etc. now everyone has the right to modify a car in whatever form and i do feel a bit sorry for them as they are young and completely shafted by insurance.

so lets get some proper cars down there and get southend back on the map!

if anyone is interested put a note on here and when there is enough interest we will have to make a date
i remember the cruises of southend in my series 2 rs turbo racing down the a1 and m25 and a127 filming races on cam then cruising up and down the seafront checking cars and women playing the tunes then racing home coming out the 40 mile zone then hitting the 60 mph on exit of southend then nailing the pedal racing till stopping off at 24 hr mc d's get sum grub then race bk home early hours of morning they were great times

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Hi I'm a southend councillor who has been working on this
What have you been working on, the cruise was great in the 70s and 80s but went wrong with the hot hatch boys. would be good if we could resurect it with some real cars with the council on our side.

·
Super Moderator
7,390 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Southend made the News last night......There is now a court injunction banning "car cruises".A councillor said to camera that any group of two cars or more will be taken to court !! Well I guess that large family days out will no longer happen,Funeral cortèges will be no more etc etc.

Doesn't effect me as I was told by the Police not to come back to SOS ever again.....that was in '74 when a group of us got stiffed between two roundabouts near the Railway Station........or was it '73 or '75?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts