Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is it specified re wire thickness etc ? Just want to wire a basic car system, no 'hi fi' gold plated contacts or woofers etc . Stuff in there at the mo looks more like very thing household type speaker wiring? Pulls lots of the wires out when trying to strip outer core.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I used to install juke boxes and we always used ordinary domestic two core cable (as in ceiling lights) it has enough guts to do the job and also is double insulated helps protect against damage. (Cheap too)

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
Agree with Big Joe.

·
Fruit & Nut Case
2,100 Posts
Make sure its flex you use, not solid drawn. Low power get a min of 0.75mm or if its not much more go for 1.5mm. A good wholesaler may sell you a few meters cheaper than B&Q . 3 core may even be cheaper than 2 core, just dont use the 3rd core.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd piss myself laughing if I was wiring it with 3 core with earth lead floating about. I can only imagine what a new owner would have to say:pmsl:

Mind you...

·
Fruit & Nut Case
2,100 Posts
I'd piss myself laughing if I was wiring it with 3 core with earth lead floating about. I can only imagine what a new owner would have to say:pmsl:

Mind you...
Not just that . We use stranded cable in these sizes that is solid drawn & not flex, Look up 6491X if your really that interested, i wont be upset if you dont bother

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Not just that . We use stranded cable in these sizes that is solid drawn & not flex, Look up 6491X if your really that interested, i wont be upset if you dont bother
Not sure if you think I was having a pop or not believing you ? Just the thought of wiring with household cable 3 core ( flex OR solid ) and the look on a future owners face and what he'd be calling me made me chuckle. I know it'll do the job ( unlike woodscrews holding steering columns in place ... DON'T laugh!)

·
Rekindled Dream
2,064 Posts
I have seen woodscrews (into blocks of wood) holding a radiator in as the guy didnt have any nuts and bolts
What's wrong with that? :incheek:

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All in tested good now Mark, thanks , 2 core electrical flex. Just got to mount the amp unit which I'm not looking forward to twisting and turning under the dash. I'll have to do it on a day that Marian's here and with the mobile phone within reach :(

·
Administrator
10,034 Posts
All in tested good now Mark, thanks , 2 core electrical flex. Just got to mount the amp unit which I'm not looking forward to twisting and turning under the dash. I'll have to do it on a day that Marian's here and with the mobile phone within reach :(
I feel for you Kev, I get tired twisting around in mine and I'm 100% fitter than you (though not 100% fit, lol!)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts