Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am off to the states in a few weeks and have managed to wrangle a couple of days at bonneville for speed week !!:tup: Does anyone know how much it is to enter as a spectator ? Also any other rodding sort of stuff going on around that time as I may be able to make some diversions :D
I hope to be taking in the Golden cruise night on my first day but any other suggestions are most welcome

Cheers Richie

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I went to the Speed Week in 1991 only a few $s. Take a big sun hat and plenty of sun block. I know you can buy food and cold drinks in the pit area. Its a place you will never forget magic. Have a great time. If you are staying in Wendover the nearest town book early. You can camp on the salt a few do.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
i went last year,and was lucky getting a room in the nugget but the mandelay over the road had rooms google wendover ,think it was $20 a day on the salt,an amazing place,,,goodguys pleasanton was on the weekend after last year,2/3 thousand cars,,

·
Registered
341 Posts
have a good one ,place ive all ways wanted to go .speed thats what its all about its the fastest place on the planet .nobble will be back at black rock soon with his new landspeed jet / rocket car would love to see that go :smoke:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys we tried to get rooms in wendover but every where was booked up so we got a room in Wells which is about 30 miles out so a bit of a drive each day but I am so excited about going which is very out of character (according to the missus!!!)

Rest assured I will take as many pics as I can (just ordered 2 more memory cards!) and will post them up when I get back !

We have to return the weekend from Denver so I think the chances of catching any other shows is quite slim !

Hersham bob was that $20 a day each ? Sounds like a bargain too me !!

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Take a zoom lens if you can a powerfull one for the runs. Are you going the beginning of the week. I went Thursday and Friday missed Art Arhons.:tdown: But see Al Teage the peoples hero.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
You'll love it, there is something magical about that first trip out onto the salt. :smoke::smoke:

It's something that all rodders should have to experience, the range of vehicles is amazing but, more importantly, the astonishing characters that you'll meet out there will make you grin for a lifetime!

I was last out there for the World of Speed meet in Sept 2007 and have come back with some amazing memories from that trip........and a race licence!:D:D

Ps. make sure you wear plenty of sunblock as the salt reflects the sun and you end up getting burnt in some very strange and painful places. The backs of the knees and inside of your nostrils (particularly painful that one) are just the beginning, just imagine wearing baggy shorts and the sun is reflected upwards!
Take plenty of bottled water and always wear a hat......also a portable am/fm radio is a must, that way you can listen to the commentators and get the full info on each run.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I think I paid $40 for the week last year, it's insanely cheap.

What ever you do just make sure you are on the salt by 7 am every day to watch the record backup runs. Go all the way down to the to the end of the spectator area which is between the 4th and 5th miles markers, especially if there's any really fast due out.

We saw a blown fuel lakester go through at 364 last year and the sound is something I'll never forget

Here's something to get you in the mood

·
Son of Spam
53 Posts
You won't need any other rod shows in Bonneville,its virtually 24 hour hotrods!!:tup:there are cook outs going on all the time,The inliners have a bbq at the camp ground in Wendover,so do the Bean Bandits,its free to all!!:smoke:& Morty Morton of Hop Up magazine holds a real good BBQ just off the salt,also FREE!!! Just hang around the Nugget in the evenings for some great bench racing!!:eek: Also,get to the salt at sun up!! theres nothing like it!!:D

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
next time i go i will get up early for the sunrise but the sunburn up ya shorts didnt happen or up my nose,and megan from the hamb wore a mini skirt and said she had never burnt her bits,cos i asked!!!lots of free soft drinks last year

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
next time i go i will get up early for the sunrise but the sunburn up ya shorts didnt happen or up my nose,and megan from the hamb wore a mini skirt and said she had never burnt her bits,cos i asked!!!lots of free soft drinks last year
I have a particularly 'aerodynamic' nose, perhaps that's why I got caught out!:S

A few pics from 2007...

This is me as nervous as hell just getting ready to do my bail out test....

....from this which I had the pleasure of driving!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The car was, at the time I drove it, the F/GMR record holding vehicle. Unfortunately it was lost to another car the following day.:tdown:

It's powered by a 3.0litre n/a Mercedes V8 of 1971 vintage, has a mad compression of 15:1, individual coils and throttle bodies giving it about 360bhp. The gearbox is a TH350 reverse pattern and the gearing is so long that a push start is required for the first 40 mph.

My best run was 168.13mph, 0.37mph away from the record at the time. Even if I'd beaten it it wouldn't have counted as you can't record break on licencing runs.

The car that eventually took the record from our team was powered with a 3.0litre Aurora engine with more than 700bhp n/a, it pushed the record over 200mph which was game over for us as the poor Merc lump was never going to get that sort of output in our wildest dreams.

Driving was an experience and a half! The driving position meant that I had the back end of the gearbox and the prop between my legs, throttle to the right of the tunnel and brake to the left and bolt heads sticking up out of the seat pan to keep you just comfy!

No suspension meant wobbly eyes at speed. The salt looks flat but is more like when snow melts and refreezes. It has little undulations that rattle your brain!:cool:

The biggest difficulty was the heat. Apart from wearing a black, 5 layer nomex suit and underwear in 40deg heat, the car didn't have a radiator. This meant that the cooling system consisted of a large water tank full of iced water which rapidly became boiling water and where was it? In the bloody cockpit with me to the right of the shifter and underneath the bodywork projection to the right of the cage.:shocked: I have never been so hot in my life!
In fact it got so hot that on one run I dehydrated and the medics wouldn't allow me to drive for the rest of the day.
A Buick that had gone in front of me had spun at the 2 mile marker which meant that the start marshall held me on the line whilst his push truck recovered him as he'd stalled and couldn't restart. It's such a carry on getting in and out of the car and getting settled that I stayed put for the 15 minutes it would take. Then the marshall came over and said he'd clipped a timing beam which would have to be resetand would be another 15 minutes. This turned into a total of 45 minutes but because we'd been told in 15 minutes segments I'd stayed in the car. I had umbrellas shading me and water poured down the inside of my crash helmet to keep me from melting but at one point I still managed an afternoon siesta as captured by my good mate Steve!

Anyhoo, the upshot of that run was dehydration and my 'C' class licence.:tup:

The atmosphere and the surrealism of the place is incredible. My fave photo I took was of a rod and a wooden framed Harley and in the background is the curve of the horizon....nowhere else on the planet has an atmosphere like this place and everyone should go at least once.

·
Registered
12,495 Posts
Ken - on your photo of the ARDUN head or rocker cover is has little brass plaque stating 'made in england' - whats all that about? I presumed ARDUN was a US cast product from the early legend to be Arcus Duntoff? (or do I need educating?:wanker:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ken - on your photo of the ARDUN head or rocker cover is has little brass plaque stating 'made in england' - whats all that about? I presumed ARDUN was a US cast product from the early legend to be Arcus Duntoff? (or do I need educating?:wanker:)
I think it was Allard that had a hand in them too?

I was really hoping to go this year (as part of a 3 week road trip) but the work project that was going to pay for it all went kinda quiet back in February so the funds weren't available :cry:

Have fun!

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I might be wrong but i think London council vehicles used them. I dont know where i heard that from but seems to stick in my mind. Anyone know anything like that. Good bit of info Magman Thanks. Any one else had a ride on the salt i know a few have taken cars and bikes over the years.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the pics and info guys I'm getting right excited now !!
Redmad is your video posted anywhere for me to have a watch ??

Cheers Richie

1 - 20 of 27 Posts