Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I recently bought what I think are Ford Pilot spindles and beam and hoping someone could confirm this,

I am looking for a set of king pins and advice on brakes?

Thanks,

Malc.

·
"call 0-800 Apocalypse"
5,229 Posts
this may be of some help,Ford axle ID

i,m no expert on pilots but i thought they had some sort of built in jacking device, yours doesnt seem to have the mounting holes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Satan,

it Looks like 37-41 beam....anymore help on the spindles and what king pins and brakes will fit... anyone?

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
Thanks Satan,

it Looks like 37-41 beam....anymore help on the spindles and what king pins and brakes will fit... anyone?
I'm no expert on these axles, but have done the kingpins on a few. If the spindles have a big top to bottom gap when you offer them up to the beam, they are '37 or later which have the thrust bearing under the axle eye. if there's very little clearance, they're probably either V8 Pilot or '36 or earlier, both of which had the thrust bearing above the spindle under a collar on the top of the kingpin. Pilot kingpins are a bloody silly price, but directly interchange with the Yank 35-36 kingpins even though they look quite different. All the early Yank and Pilot axles I have seen have 13/16" kingpins; the bushes need to be line reamed before you assemble them.

HTH.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The gap between spindle and beam is 1/8 of an inch thats about 3.1mm, so would you say Pilot spindles?

The beam is looking like 37-41 from the web links?

Any more info on brakes I could fit? Yank 35-36 kingpins will fit?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
early ford king pins are all the same diameter, its only the notch which is in a different place and their length which differs. the other problem you will have is 39-48 brakes dont fit the spindles however you can buy a fitting kit from speedway which helps, the bolt holes in the spindle are a different diameter from the backplates, you would need to re-drill the backplates but the holes end up very close to the edge

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
The gap between spindle and beam is 1/8 of an inch thats about 3.1mm, so would you say Pilot spindles?
Certainly looks like a Pilot spindle, here's one that I prepared earlier in my workshop press.

The thrust bearings used on these axles are a ball bearing thrust race which is about 3/8" deep, so yours would have to go on top, a couple of shims which should come as part of the kingpin kit take up the rest of the gap between the axle eye and the spindle on the Pilot or 35-36 kingpin setup.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks you everyone for the info...now I need some parts!!

37-41 king pins seem to be ready available for duksville speed shop, are they different to 35-36?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
yep they are different - you can only run later kingpins if you move the thrust bearing to the bottom of the axle, if you need to put the thrust bearing on the top you will need the ledge on the top of the 35/36 kingpin to hold the bearing and run on the bearing. also think the notch will be in a different place on the kingpin so the spacing will be wrong. not sure anyone makes repro 35/36 kingpins and you may need to find an original set from ebay with the cup for the brake rods on the top of them. you can get pilot kingpins which will fit but theyre about £125 new availble from Pete at nordian

·
Banjo snapper.
3,507 Posts
The cup houses part of the mechanical brake linkage, a cam that works a rod that runs through the kingpin. I might be able help with kingpins I've got here, you'd need to measure the position of the cotter pin cut out so I can check them. I assume you either haven't got any of they're knackered?

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
Thanks you everyone for the info...now I need some parts!!

37-41 king pins seem to be ready available for duksville speed shop, are they different to 35-36?
37 kingpins are longer IIRC, and dont have provision for the bearing on the top.

Pilot and 35-6 kingpins have the shoulder for the bearing to ride on; here's a set.
King Pin Spindle Bolt Set 1935 1936 Ford Cars NEW | eBay
The weird looking cup on top of the pin was used for the brake rods on Yank Fords of these years, I've fitted these kingpins to Pilot Axles OK.

Edit: Just noticed posts 12 & 13, must type faster... must type faster.

·
Registered
616 Posts
You can use the readily available 37-41 king pin kits although you won't be able to use the thrust washer that comes with them as there is no room to fit them under the axle and using them on top of the spindle boss puts them slightly too short and the groove for the cotter pin in the wrong place. They also aren't designed to take the load on their top washer.
You simply use a thin needle roller bearing and couple of thrust washer under the axle, they are almost a perfect fit. Still use the fibre washer on top and the cotter pin groove is in the right place although the pin will stick out of the bottom by about 1/4 inch but can be turned down. Only down side is that it isn't a sealed bearing but a regular smear of grease and they should be fine. There are guys that have put 1000's of miles on this set up and I am in the process of doing similar with my project running pilot spindles. If you like I will try and dig out the part numbers for them.

If they are pilot spindles then I am led to believe that 40 Ford style hydraulic brakes bolt right up or you could just use pilot brakes? Front's were hydraulic although I have adapted mine with Landrover cylinders as they are better and easier to get. Would leave you with the bigger 'wide five' wheel bolt pattern though.

·
Registered
727 Posts
The easyest solution to your dilema is get some 37 and up spindles and king pins, these are what pretty much all the aftermarket stuff is for. Due to supply and demand, the bits are so much cheaper and off the shelf. If you dont mind them having square backing plate flange's use the 42 and up spindles, these normally are a fair wack cheaper only due to the round flange being the must have. The differance is purely looks really, but the late spindle does use a slightly longer king pin and the bottom king pin hole on the spindle is also slightly longer. This is good, all things being equal the late ones are a stronger setup and the pin and bushes will last longer.
Been a while since I had a Pilot spindle in me hands, but I think the later drybolik back plates wont bolt straight on, the bolt pattern is smaller on the Pilot and the round casting bit on the spindle (the bigest round bit) is smaller on the Pilot (same as pre 37 yank) sloting the hole in the back plate and using a ring around the large round casting on the spindle to centralise the lat back plate.
You can use the torrington needle bearing thrust washer as Gav said, but it is open to the elements, so dirt ingress is a problem, and you will also need a hardened washer either side of the bearing.
Martin.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The cup houses part of the mechanical brake linkage, a cam that works a rod that runs through the kingpin. I might be able help with kingpins I've got here, you'd need to measure the position of the cotter pin cut out so I can check them. I assume you either haven't got any of they're knackered?
It looks like from the bottom of the beam to the centre of the cotter pin hole is 1 1/4 inch, I don't have any kingpins as I bought the spindles and beam as separate parts, I was thinking of taking my chances with the 35-36 kingpin listed on e-bay in the USA, works out with postage around £58.

URL="http://www.ebay.com/itm/King-Pin-Spindle-Bolt-Set-1935-1936-Ford-Cars-NEW-/190619829184?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c61d3c3c0"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/King-Pin-Spindle-Bolt-Set-1935-1936-Ford-Cars-NEW-/190619829184?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c61d3c3c0[/URL]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts