Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've lengthened a steering shaft and also changed one end of the shaft to a different spline, one end is quite coarse spline the other is very fine, I've made it the right overall length but not happy with cutting and welding it, even though it won't be seen again, I'd worry myself silly, so who does a good job and cost effective, had one quote £900, I won't be going back :shock:

·
stitchmeister
twin turbo LS 59 chevy apache
4,694 Posts
join the 2 together by having the ends machined down for a sleeve to be slipped over with holes drilled in it so you can also weld there as well

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
On the steering shafts I do I normally face both ends and chamfer then drill and tap either 6 or 8 mm thread and put a piece of studding in the middle nip up tight then weld . Never had a problem.
Or take Wayne up on his offer

·
Registered
392 Posts
I guess you have this all sorted by now. However, for anyone else needing to do this you need a machine shop that cuts splines which the technical term for is broaching. Each spline size has a broach size and if the machine shop has the correct size broach then it can indeed be a £40 job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts