Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
For similar money to estimate you can buy a 9/10ths scale all ally Spitfire power by Isusu 6 pot or as an option LS6!

·
Registered
429 Posts
For similar money to estimate you can buy a 9/10ths scale all ally Spitfire power by Isusu 6 pot or as an option LS6!
Agreed, but like evilzee says,what you don't get is the history......

How different would Britain be without the Spitfires contribution.

·
Registered
12,507 Posts

You are 100% correct - but, the kit plane is ALMOST affordable and useable!

·
Registered
531 Posts
I know of the "Borough of Lambeth" project, I don't believe any of the skinning is original, or very much else for that matter, and to make matters worse I doubt any of it will make it to a complete aeroplane; the CAA rules are very strict.

Heres one I made earlier........(quite a bit earlier actually, about 7 years earlier........)

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts

Things vud be very diffrent and ve vud be in za EU.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Having been born in Lambeth and now living less than three miles from the Castle Bromwich facility that made it, If I had the wherewithall, I would jump at the chance. They won't be delivering any new ones anytime soon.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I doubt that there is much original Spitfire there but rebuilds have been done with less. All you need is the data plate off the firewall. A CAA approved company on the Isle of Wight can build the airframe from scratch.

·
THATS MR TATFINK TO YOU
961 Posts
ld have it,just to sit in and say ....ok ginger...bandits at 12 ..bandits at 12.....but her in doors has already got me a padded shirt for xmas ....bugger:roll:

·
Registered
531 Posts
I doubt that there is much original Spitfire there but rebuilds have been done with less. All you need is the data plate off the firewall. A CAA approved company on the Isle of Wight can build the airframe from scratch.[/QUOTE

Ahh the elusive data plate, I wouldn't want to try and get a newbuild airframe passed the CAA nowdays, if there isn't a substantial amount of original structure attached to the firewall plate.

Most newly " restored" Spitfires are cloaked in mystery, from ownership, right down to exactly how much original material exists,; remember new build Spitfires cant fly in this country, as the lengthy (and prohibitively expensive) type approval hasn't been done. (excluding home build replicas")

·
Registered
374 Posts
You'd be amazed at how little original material you need for it to count as restored. New build is exactly that, not based on any original components

·
Registered
321 Posts
We have had a working Merlin engine from a Spitfire in our work shop for a while now. The lady who bought it wants me to make it into a bar feature for her house. Such a waist.

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
We have had a working Merlin engine from a Spitfire in our work shop for a while now. The lady who bought it wants me to make it into a bar feature for her house. Such a waist.
Better that she sells it to finance a (cheaper) non runner - or perhaps for some clever bugger to use all parts for 'bucks' and mould-up 'glass replicas!

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
i dont think my mum will let be park it in the garden and i dont think the council will let me use some of the a456 as a runway lmao

1 - 18 of 18 Posts