Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Well all flatted and painted on Sat, one dry coat on body . Today had to flat back some due to dust , must have blown up from masking even though I went over it with blow gun first. Wet floor and double tack raged and its come out ok with 3 coats , sag on front panel . Stood to close as not enough room , ended up using my "small" gun as the borrowed "big" gun put out narrow spay compared with my 3,000 year old top feed AID . It does do a good 6ins spray.
Still not painted outside of sliding door as not enough room , will sheet up bus first as do have proper masking plastic sheet. Take some pics tomorrow , it was put paint on and leg it as to much fumes (no extractor)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Finished paint , did inside of tailgate, side door and shuts in white. Started fitting bits back on, spent ages cleaning paint of parts . That's from the repaint when it was given the "cal look " back in the 90s? . Hope to fit side door tomorrow, now that will be fun getting it adjusted . Need to order things like cable seals, grommets as stuff rotted/missing .

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Side door fitted, took ages cleaning paint from bolts and out of crossheads!! Nothing was masked or removed for that £50 respray. started to mop, found I need to flat out some more--------

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Spent all day yesterday wet flatting and mopping , nearly go one side done. Started getting cramp in my hand!! Its not mirror finish but don't want it perfect as want it to look a bit "used" and not fresh . TBH don't think they were ever that good new, the new (Brazilian ) panel has ripples from inner frame spot welds and that's factory . Anyways have another day of flatting and mopping today , apart from one bit I think the other side is better finish .

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Started fitting up doors, taking bloody ages with cleaning over spray of every thing and making stuff fit correctly . Now find the pattern door handles (push button one year only) don't move far enough to work release on latch by 2 to 3 mm . Will have to fit a spacer washer under the finger part that works locking mech . Lots of swear words (insert your own) pattern crap.

·
Premium Member
14,400 Posts
Started fitting up doors, taking bloody ages with cleaning over spray of every thing and making stuff fit correctly . Now find the pattern door handles (push button one year only) don't move far enough to work release on latch by 2 to 3 mm . Will have to fit a spacer washer under the finger part that works locking mech . Lots of swear words (insert your own) pattern crap.
that 2-3mm saves them 0.05 pence on each one they make, it's all about profit.
neil.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Just poor machining/casting TBH, long time ago had trouble with a Saab slave clutch cylinder . If I remember correctly it was a Lockheed part and it leaked where it bolted to gearbox (concentric ) ,tried another one same make and same result . After a bit of measurement found flange that fitted in gearbox was bigger by a few thou and did not sit in . Made in India ! rang them and told them but they wouldn't have it, bought gennie one and no problem.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Sorted door handles, both doors more or less sorted . Fitted door seals as well , have built up loads of bay doors and its still a pain int ass.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I think I saw old pics of this van at Shaky on facebook recently, towing Hollys beetle?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Got held up by my lad doing clutch on his motor bike , looking for bits that I put up "safe" and cant find !! Painted fuel tank, not that bad for rust but its a one year only part. Ordered some bits , rubber seals , pedal rubbers etc . Started to make throttle linkage, have a NOS Cosmic throttle pedal so using that and making linkage out of old carb linkage rose joints. Yes did a Robert and searched scrap /useful parts bins , post some pics when its finished tomorrow.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Well throttle pedal and linkage made, works much better than stock. Made from bits of offcuts ,
old joints .
drilled out the spot welds from floor bracket ,its now bolted in.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Repaired the original dash top, took ages to get the thick white paint off so used hot air gun . Had to cut up the later dash top I was using , the flange to screen was the same BUT the shape up to vents was totally wrong so ha
d to panel beat the return /shape into it . Bit of filler needed ,just a skim.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Today I have mostly been sorting drag link, it fouled the anti roll bar on full drop. Started to modify another link but ended up using MK1 link but putting rose joint on top of the bracket on rack end . Tidy so antiroll bar now fitted . Under tray wont fit now without a lot of work ,TBH probably easier to make a new one from scratch . Started to clean gearbox and scrapped a dustpan full (very full!) of oily dirt off , saying that where it was "clean" the casing was very corroded. Will be getting a paint to stop corrosion.
Managed to drill out captive nuts that hold dash to screen flange and only effed one up !

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Just spent £50 of my "hard earned" furlough wages on paint and small tin of filler to do dash. Vinyl paint for crash pad, primer and satin for top and a tin of chrome effect if its any good for rear light reflectors . Having a day off , cooking up a big pot of lamb and aubergine curry from my cooking in a camper book!!!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Dash top painted , it will do -------- crash pad refreshed . Painted the rear light and front indicator reflectors with the "chrome" effect paint, its more a aluminium TBH but better than the very small amount of reflective that was left. Fitted rear suspension bushes, had a fight putting cover back on N/S and ended up using long bolts to slide cover over to get bolts started. Found one wiper spindle seized , heat didn't work !! Luckily have a spare mech , its a one year only part as well. Have a mod to do to wiper switch to convert washers to electric by fitting a micro push switch instead of the air switch . Started to paint strip steering wheel, along with everything else it was painted blue when the bush was given the 90s ? smooth over . Didn't find any graphics !! Hopefully have a hand today bleeding brakes , will be dropping it off stands then and moving it forward so tail gate can be fitted.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts