Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Brakes bled fine, dash fitted , handbrake connected and a few odds sorted. Decided to tidy wiring to get rid of crimp connectors , making a relay come fuse board to mount on steering column bracket . Fitting radio wiring as well , waiting for terminals and wire to turn up. A few quick fixes to tidy .
Steering wheel was painted black over the blue that covered everything , paint stripper did the job.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Had to work from 2 wiring diagrams , one the correct 68 with no colour codes and a later 71 with codes. Its a good job VW kept the colours the same, still doing my head in having to swop glasses to read miniscule letters. Might put wheels on tomorrow and move it forward so tailgate can be fitted , there again who knows what I will do .

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Well terminals finally turned up yesterday post, spent day pratting about finding some used but new ones . Cant find the screws and one lens screw for n/s front indicator, found some that will do to hold lamp in place . Well down to one box of bits to fit like gear lever ,seat belts but then engine and box still to fit , tail gate and rear valance /engine lid . Speakers and lots of interior stuff to do as well , priority is get it driveable first. Need a new screen as well.

·
Premium Member
14,400 Posts
of course you know none of this happened if we can't see pics :lol:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Now I have made my dinner, Bangladeshi white chicken Korma with butternut squash curry and home made sourdough bread. Cooking my other hobby !!
Looks a mess but thats what they are like for those that don't know , yellow board has relays and fuse box . Dash just popped back in as need to check it all works . Still have rear lights and engine bay to sort first , just a few tatty terminals .

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Nearly finish tidying the wiring, starter motor leads and think that's it. Dropped it off stands and moved it forward , my youngest lad gave me a hand to fit tailgate . Need to fit glass and it needs a mop first. Need to repaint 2 part panels as scratched them flatting and fuel flap as rubbed through getting run out. If weather forecast is right will see about Thurs . Plan today is fit a few more bits to cab and tidy up , get back on stands and fit gearbox.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Just read last 7 pages ,looking good mate lot of work gone into this, reminds me of when I did my 66 split screen,bottom 6 inch rotten ,and took 2 years to do with my dads help, will have to try and find a picture, loved that camper then sold to a lad from Leeds who promptly scraped along full side, keep up the good work and it will be finished soon .

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Well cracking on, lights fitted, floor mats in. Bits turned up this morning so can get some more finished . When thats done will start on engine, need to drill manifolds for vac connection next an
d fit flaps to cooling .

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Had to file the speedo cable end so it would fit in drop spindle (Chinese made of course) and found spacer missing from under gear lever so had to make that. No wonder floor and lever bracket was bent!!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Got engine back in this morning, need some new fuel pipe. Had to get a new battery , bit of snagging to do. Oil pressure switch open circuit, worked fine before.
Put the engine lid on with new catch, cant open it now . Luckily its not shut tight and recon I can remove screw that holds knob on.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Coming along nicely , had to cut through catch with hacksaw blade in holder. Good job it was soft , managed to fit correct shape catch from an old lock . lots of small jobs done so bit of fuel and should run, screen being fitted tomorrow afternoon. Oil switch changed, new horn, new fuel hose ,rear bumper on. Had to reprofile brackets to get it to fit nice, its a late split one and not correct shape but hens teeth and very expensive to find good used. Would load some pics but Imgur wont work due to slow internet--------

·
Premium Member
14,400 Posts
you forgot that camera again? tut tut. :lol:
neil.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
NO cant load them onto Imgur due to my internet being crap again , starts to load and just sticks .

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
As expected any shows I was planning to go to have been cancelled , run out of money to do interior properly anyway . Will do what I can till furlough runs out and park it up till next year , might give me time to save up. At least when unit is empty I will be able to make a return to Austin Countryman as lots of chassis mods to do that I have metal for.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Was going to fit front section of wood headliner , J sections done then measured it up . The bit of ply I was going to use is 1 1/2 in to short, thats a bugger as have to get an 8x4 sheet just to get a 50 in x 36 . Still the 2 bits I have are now sliding and tail gate door cards . Was also going to fit the ply that I painted yesterday to front of R&R bed but needed a second coat. Have done a lot of other small jobs , stuck on some till I get some trim , catches and screws .

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Shame about your pictures problem, would like to see the wood headliner.
Good to have it running!

61 - 80 of 93 Posts