Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Is it worth popping to a local builders merchants and see if they’ve got any off-cuts or a damaged sheet of ply you could buy instead? It’d be a lot cheaper that way.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Well bought myself a shit load of work, got the wood, paint , brushes and other bits I needed. Will be busy on for a few days -------

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Knackered tonight, front roof liner made and fitted along with speaker mountings. Its a bugger springing ply into place as it has to be sat in J sections bowing down and then pushed up into roof, must have had it in and out 10 times so its no wonder my arms are aching !!! Happy with how it turned out , will put up some pics when my bloody internet speeds up.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Well roof liner has been varnished, door cards painted but will need another coat tomorrow and catches fitted to rear cupboard doors. Gave the vacuum cleaner a good work out and shifted all the dust from inside. Drivers seat and seat belts tomorrow , TBH running out of stuff I can do so as soon as door cards done its back up in the air and wax oil time . Bit of paint to polish and roof to clean then its back on mums drive!!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
So my box of bits to fit is officially EMPTY , still jobs to do but tomorrow its back up in air with a spanner check and then rust proofing . Made sure clutch worked and she moved back and forth , started on the button. Will move it on Monday then its a BIG tidy up /sort out in the unit.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Found my old bus thread, getting it ready for the road after its been sat on my mums drive during lockdown. So far have sorted leaking pushrod seal , fitted new o/s rear brake drum , 2 new rear tyres and fitted sink unit . Have foam for bed/seat , tiles for splash back . Practicing my upholstery skills making covers for foam .

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Tiles fitted to splashback, took ages peeling the backing off 30! ! and with the pattern ended up bog eyed. Today fitted leisure battery, had to lengthen the battery clamp so down the unit. Anyways once I made the cables fit (not the same spec I ordered but its bigger capacity so not complaining) I tested all the lights and water pump and when I swopped a fuse over it all works. Forgot to take some pics in my rush to get back home, tomorrow.

·
Registered
863 Posts
You know you shouldnt but you just have to love these old VWs .. I bought mine as a project around 10 years ago now. Paid £800 for it , turned out to be a good original unmolested base . That didnt mean it wasnt rusty, It was very rusty. It just meant that no one had ever mad any effort to do there bit to "restore" it .. so the good thing was there was no filler , no bodged up repairs and no hidden extras ..

I took it back as far as I could , fitted new floors front to rear , new front panel inner and outer , new front and rear tubs, new doors, new tailgate, replaced the roof cap for a more appealing one which meant major work to the roof area, Mine was a panel before being converted by a camper conversion company back in the day so didnt have recessed windows. I made up the recesses and painstakingly welded them all in, had new glass made for the job ..

Fitted a new 1641 motor with twin carbs and replaced every mechanical joint , steering joint, bearings, all new brakes etc etc .. cost an arm and a leg, couldnt have afforded to do it if I had to pay for labour so just had to knuckle down . It took 8 years of off and on enthusiasm to get it done . Eventually spent proper time on it to get it completed and on the road when I retired ( no im not that old just retired early) . last 6 monthe on it was a hard slog but got it done .. First job I done after putting it on the road was to throw awy the dropped spindles and refit the stock ones .. Low vans look cool but drive like shit .. Its still lower than standard but drives really well.. Could probably do with a servo but otherwise brakes are fine .. Threatened to sell it a few times but when I drive it again the love returns.

Slogged it up the highest gradient in the UK yesterday , 2nd gear maxed out at 23 mph Had to sit with it revving for a bit to keep the oil circulating through the cooler to get the oil cool enough to stop the oil light flickering .. It come down the same hill a lot faster :)

Its been on the road 5 years this year , dosnt really get used that much but its been to south wales and back and preety much every where worth a visit in Scotland .. Didnt use it at all in 2020 but this year its being put to good use . :)

IMG_6560.jpg
IMG_1812.JPG
IMG_1817.JPG
IMG_1097.JPG
IMG_0670.JPG
DSCF4530_LI.jpg

81 - 93 of 93 Posts