Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Spot welding Zintec,

6K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  JackGriffin 
#1 · (Edited)
Im about to start repairing some of the bodywork on my car, I have folded up some parts to replace the sills and outriggers in Zintec, I have seen a few people spot weld zintec without grinding it back, Is that ok or am I better to grind back where I am going to spot weld??

#4 ·
Yes zintec is ok to spotted weld ,it is or was done on mass production car components,done millions of spots on them,on spot welding machine,no PPE health and safety back then though.and I'm still here no probs,though that maybe a matter of opinion :lol:
I thought galvanised coating was the real enemy.

#6 ·
This may help...

MIG welding and angle grinding results in metal vapors.

Aluminium alloy vapour and fumes from zinc coatings are poisonous. Exposure can result in heavy metal poisoning (welding shivers) - flu like symptoms that can persist for a few days. The zinc coating should be removed from galvanised steel before welding, and wear a proper charcoal welding mask when you go anywhere near zinc.

#9 ·
Used zintec sheet steel quite a few times but not my material of choice due to the fume issue,
normally thoroughly clean off the area to be welded with a poly disc but you still get a slight powder around the weld and normally use a welding mask as theres still some fumes,
only use now if its a premade panel that has come in zintec.

#13 · (Edited)
Checked out the site here is a quote
"The subject can then appear to be more susceptible to the onset of this condition on Mondays or on weekdays following a holiday than they are on other days"

I worked with zinc coated sheet for many years as long as reasonable precautions are made then spot welding should not. Be a problem .
The milk has not been proven to work but its not been proven that it doesn't work.
Its just an added precaution and it tastes nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.