Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheels Day

The 40th Wheels Day was not as the Surrey Street Rodders would have wished.

We anticipated an attendance of 6,000 people which would have been an increase of 50% of our best ever Wheels Day. Dunsfold Park has informed us the actual number on Good Friday was in excess of 18,000. We are sorry for the problems this unprecedented turnout of vehicles caused.

At one point we did stop charging entry, in order to get as many people as possible on site and try to alleviate the 12 mile traffic jam. Since the show a tirade of negative forum postings, abusive phone calls, emails and now accusations of inappropriate dealings with Wheels Day money have led to the following decision.

There will be no more Wheels Day in its present form.

The Surrey Street Rodders would like to thank everybody who has supported us in the past 40 years and helped so many charities; you are a credit to our hobby.

·
Super Moderator
7,399 Posts
I am really sad to hear that..... I have been going since day one and it always meant the start of summer for me (even when it snowed).

·
Desparado
7,337 Posts
Gutted to hear this.

I hope everybody that complained is now kin happy !! Im sure the number of people that will miss Wheels Day, far outnumbers those that have complained, written abusive stuff & made shitty phone calls and accusations !

I, AS MANY OTHERS ENJOYED MY DAY AT THE 40TH WHEELS DAY.

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
shit
i have only done this year and had a brill time i have even planned on making next years show and camping nearby so i was there..

all i will say is THANK YOU for making this one of the best shows i have ever attended..

steve

·
Registered
76 Posts
I really hope you might reconsider your decision in time

The charities you support, give so much to those in need and the income you support them with from Wheelsday will be a great loss to them, this is in my opinion a very sad day.

i can however understand, having seen some of the negativity and abuse that has been laid at the Surrey Street Rodders why you have arrived at this decision.

All the best

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,343 Posts
Could see this coming . Can't blame them for this , be it a reaction to the negativity shown or simply the realisation that it had become a monster in it's own right but at least they got to the 40th :tup: WELL DONE SSR . Hope you'll be doing the Picnic still ?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hopefully "no more Wheels Day in its current form" means there will be a Wheels Day of some type? Most people appreciated what SSR were doing but unfortunately the vocal few won. It's a shame.

·
Care in the Community
2,763 Posts
Not unexpected news, SSR obviously can't cope with the success that the current format of Wheels Day has become, and quite understandably it sounds like a huge rethink is in order if it is to go ahead next year.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Well all the moaners and critics should be ashamed of themselves....... this like most other shows have been put on by volunteers for the good of the car scene raising money for local charities ........ these same moaners will be moaning next year that there is no decent Easter show to get the season started.

Don't blame the organisers at all, but hope they reinvent themselves and the show at some point.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Do it as a 6000 ticket only via a raffle entry people pay a fiver if they get pulled out of a hat they get a ticket if not £5 straight to charity.

No ticket equals no entry. Simple as that

·
Full Bloody Rebel!
3,426 Posts
Not unexpected news, SSR obviously can't cope with the success that the current format of Wheels Day has become, and quite understandably it sounds like a huge rethink is in order if it is to go ahead next year.
It's deeper that that my friend, as far I can see. The first year at a new venue and the interest in the run-up has been HUGE across many forums, including the traditional classics forum. Add to this a good day, cold, but dry, and you have the recipe for a great turnout!

Last year at Rushmore it was still a big show and having the promise (perceived or otherwise) of a tarmac/concrete show field (especially after last year's mud!!) it was always going to be a great day.

Now, the marshals, apart from the SSR members, were whoever they could get to help, so don't blame the team that did an impressive job. I don't believe SSR had any idea of the numbers that were planning to turn up and form what I heard the site owners weren't exactly aware, or that helpful.

As I said, this is the first year at the venue and apart from a couple of morons taking their bloody dogs It all went off very well. We arrived at 8.30 ish and left after 4.30 ish. Just realise it's a steep learning curve for all concerned and it'll be much better next year and the next, and the next.........

Why can't we generate some help through R&S to support SSR next year? I'll start by saying openly that I'll help. I started attending some of their meetings, through invitation, but due to other things getting in the way, dropped off and finally stopped. I shouldn't have, and I'm sorry SSR for being a wimp!
Can someone PM me and let me know when your meeting are and I'll endeavour to make time to turn up.

Congratulations on it's success, even if it did caused a few problems, but please don't give up, as it is the Season Opener for most people!

By the way, this is my own personal opinion, and if you out there don't agree with it YOU KNOW WHAT YOU CAN DO!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.