Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m struggling to solve an issue with my car. Small block Chevy, Holley 750DP. Newly rebuilt engine with a used carb I’ve also re gasketed etc. If I do an emergency stop from say 20 mph it stalls and is difficult to restart.

I’ve disconnected the brake servo and it doesn’t make a difference.

It does it in gear and out of gear, so not clutch.

I raised the float levels above normal and it didn’t make a difference.

If you look at the carb mouth after it’s stalled and without doing anything else it’s wet with petrol. I lowered the floats to below normal and it made no difference. I also put two 4” lengths of tube on the vents and it made no difference. The only place I can think the fuel is escaping from the air bleeds but not sure.

Anyone got any suggestions on what to look at/try next?

·
richard rawlplug
8,228 Posts
Try a normal 600 vac sec carb...750 dp is a bit big for a street sbc.....as for the stalling has it got jet extension tubes on it..?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try a normal 600 vac sec carb...750 dp is a bit big for a street sbc.....as for the stalling has it got jet extension tubes on it..?
Thanks for the reply.

It’s not a street motor, it’s in my race car. It’s not got jet extensions on, as I understand it they’re ok for acceleration issues on a drag car but not suitable for a circuit car as they can cause fuel starvation.

Hood Automotive tire Blue Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would suggest a lean idle mixture or a too low idle speed or a combination of the two. Are you running an 02 meter?
No O2 meter. Idle speed is quite high at just under 1000. It’s rich if anything at idle, but it doesn’t burn well, typical big cam issue on a SBC apparently. It could do with more advance at idle but without fitting a vac advance dissy I can’t do that.

There is definitely a lot of fuel splashing around when it stalls.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
If it is too lean it can appear to be too rich as the incomplete combustion smells rich. Without an 02 meter it becomes guess work, I use mine to set the idle and would strongly reccommend one as it pays for itself in time not wasted. I found a bad plug the other week that would not have shown up readily, that bank was runnng rich.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it is too lean it can appear to be too rich as the incomplete combustion smells rich. Without an 02 meter it becomes guess work, I use mine to set the idle and would strongly reccommend one as it pays for itself in time not wasted. I found a bad plug the other week that would not have shown up readily, that bank was runnng rich.
Do you run a permanent sensor or just have a standalone sniffer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’ve had another look and the floats weren’t where I thought they were. So put the secondary 1/8” below the sight and the primary just above. I’ll give it another go in the week. Not sure it’ll make a difference as I’ve raised and lowered them before.

·
richard rawlplug
8,228 Posts
Oneball...I am loving you have a full air filter on that.i run a 4 inch deep filter and a k&n filter top like yours on my 57 chevy..hate the steel top jobs.

Reactions: Oneball

·
richard rawlplug
8,228 Posts
Fuel pressure..?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’ve had another look and the floats weren’t where I thought they were. So put the secondary 1/8” below the sight and the primary just above. I’ll give it another go in the week. Not sure it’ll make a difference as I’ve raised and lowered them before.
Given it a run and it seems much better. Going to try raising the secondary float a flat at a time and see what it does.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts