Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just discovered a problem with the steering on my Chevy. On full lock the wheels rub on the inner wings (MoT failure). To save the grief of removing the inner wings to form a recess (it can't be done in situ) has anyone ever made some "stops" to limit the amount of lock on a car with a steering box?

·
I'm a grown up drunk!
2,645 Posts
several ways to do this,
fit a bracket to each side of the chassis with a nut/bolt fitted for adjustment,so the bolt head hits the end of the centre link limiting travel, anglias and cortinas had this,
another way is to fit a bracket to the a-arm to hit the steering arm to limit travel, my nova has this, once again fit a bolt for adjustment.

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
On the mk2 consul they have an angled piece of metal on the chassis with a threaded insert which you adjust :tup:

ill try n get a pic of mine thats no longer in use

(must type faster)

But as chevy2 says one on each chassis rail

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
All yu need is a physical stop, either a bracket, bolt or even a polyeurethane block.
What about fitting different wheels for mot?

·
Registered
872 Posts
As a point of interest, on Morgans, the lock stop is a bit of metal on the chassis that the tyre runs against - yes, the tyre hits the chassis to limit the lock! :eek: That's how they come from the factory, and they certainly used this method until fairly late, as my mate's is 1980-something and that's how it is. Couldn't believe it when he showed me... :shake:

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Put your steels back on the front for the MOT...

Mind you, where are you taking it again???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts