Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've fitted an aftermarket (Grant) steering wheel to my truck and after a while it works its way loose. If I do it up too tight it nips down on the indicator unit and stops them working. It's a pain in the arse and could be damn right dangerous if I was out on a trip with no sockets.

What would be the best solution......just some loctite on the nut?

Cheers in advance.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
i used to have this so i drilled down the top of the spline taped it out and put a allen head bolt and washer so it covered the original steering nut also loctite never been a problem again, hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
You could make a shim to go on the taper after the spline so when you fit the wheel it sits slightly higher, when you bolt it down should be able to do it up nice and tight. Make yourself a paper template and the thin metal (can/tin) maybe will be able to cut with scissors , pre form it round something like a socket extention and it should stay it place as you fit the wheel. :tup:
..Nige..

·
Registered
134 Posts
Use a Nylock nut, if you guys have those over there. My buddy had a Ford truck that the carburetor did that so we used Nylock nuts and no more trouble with that

·
Heavy Oiler
2,504 Posts
ever thought the the angles might be different?
I was thinking along those lines too. Once it's tight, further tightening shouldn't make it foul anything.

·
Registered
84 Posts
quote "If I do it up too tight it nips down on the indicator unit and stops them working."
this sounds like its not tightened up to start with you need to sort out the clearance issue

1 - 10 of 10 Posts