Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
Just trying to get the handles matched up and remembered where I bought mine from. Richard has broken a few Prefects, Pops and Anglias in the past from his farm near the Drax power station in Yorkshire. He seems to be a good source for the car builder and still has some Jags, quite a few Pops and a Prefect. I understand he still has some chassis with docs but can also help with a lot of other stuff. Worth a call on 01757 618467 heres a couple of pictures from when I dropped by.

Meanwhile, I have all the glass in now and what a difference it makes to door closing having the weight in them and some noise damping- a nice clunk every time.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)
Still a bit to do and it seems strangely uphill to get it over the finishing line and trying to avoid rushing it. One recent lucky break out of the blue was the gift of the original type Art Deco Bakelite interior dome lamp switch. The slider switch part was in poor condition but the escutcheon is mint. It was chucked in with something I bought off eBay - a very nice surprise and now installed with a good slide switch from my various small switches drawer.
Pictures soon when I can get over to the garage.
Here's the little switch. Checked the connections today and luckily its the right way up, down for on just like indoors.

The meeting of the upper and lower B post trims was originally an overlap of the top one over the lower, as thats what it is in my original 53 Prefect.. I decided it looked better with a butt junction.

Still a few bits of trim to do by the back seat and these will be best left till the headlining goes in.

Still not sure what to do about the rear seat kick board. Coverdales supply a carpet piece with their carpet sets to go over this area. I have make up my own version and glued the carpet to a piece of 9mm plywood. Its ok but looks a little heavy duty compared to my 53 Prefect that has millboard coverd in vinyl and looks neater. Its on hold while I get on with other more importand bits.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
Finished off my 'temporary' carpets with heel pads. They should be glued then stitched around the edges but decided to try some Gorilla glue on offer in Aldis and leave the stitching for later if at all. I have a feeling that the Gorilla is not going to last but I followed the instructions so will see what happens.

Still struggling with the headlining for the other car. Seems the thread I bought is too thick for my machine as it seized up where the thread exits the revolving hook mechanism. I reckon I will be a qualified Singer sewing machine mechanic by the time I get it done. Local Singer shop is giving me some advice I should have asked him for in the first place. I broke part of the hook getting the thread out but luckily he has some spares and even better some thread that will suit my machine. He also reckons my domestic machine, found in a house clearance would be ok so no need for the industrial machine it seems so once its repaired and working it may well get sold. I bought it hoping it would be good for stitching carpet but it's not that sort of industrial. My wife wants rid anyway as its in the way of her ironing board.
May 2018. Finished the headlining for my hybrid Prefect and now ready to go on this one. This time I will make paper templates for the rear section so I can get it to follow the curve of the body better. Also I will measure more accurately. The first 4 panels are easier as they are straight. Its the back end where it needs more care and that's where fitting starts so quite important. More pictures as it progresses.
Ps. The old industrial machine is now in pieces as it didnt sell so looks like a trip to the tip.

Another good part found is the heater collector plate that fits on the back face of the radiator. Richard, the man who has the farm/breakers in Yorkshire (see top of this page) found one in his barn so with the addition of some 2" hose I have a heater for cold runs. The collector was originally fitted with skinny bolts through the core but I can use some plastic fixings with springs as on modern fans.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #85 (Edited)
Here we go with headlining for this car. I made the paper templates to get Sydney Opera House effect round the back end and just to check I pegged out the panels over the wire ribs to see if it was on the right lines and so far it looks good. Hopefully fewer tucks and strains to get it looking taught. Here's a few pictures of the back three panels. Out with the sewing machine next.
This is panel 8 followed by panels 7 and 6. Its a darker material this time - got it from Woolies. The centre section of each panel is more or less parallel so not shown.

Number 8 is a bit bigger but will have the rear window aperture taken out on site. This time I have measured more accurately the pouches that the lining hangs on and will work from a centre line mark on each panel. I think I am beginning to enjoy this.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Encouragement gratefully received. Cheers Chris.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I'm not celebrating just yet but hopefully will when I get the cloth on the wires. If you can buy a headlining I now know the man who makes one from scratch earns his corn. I have really got into the sewing machine bit - anyone want some cushion covers running up?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #90 (Edited)
Got the cloth hung up and starting to trim and fix. Much better round the back end this time but this car has a window blind that is going to be a challenge as it used sash type chords and an acorn knob for the driver to pull on. Luckily the chords and knob were with the car although I didn't know what they were at first as they were just lying disconnected on the back shelf.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
Yes, and there's more to come. There are a few small wrinkles and the steamer and hair dryer have removed some of the smallest ones.
Pictures 1,2 and 5 show the rear blind detail. The acorn on the front end of cord is the original thing found on the back shelf. The driver reaches up and pulls the cord forwards and the acorn hooks into the screw-in hook at just the right point to hold the blind up. I had some of the blind but luckily a good friend had the roller bit so I could then get some material off a blind bought on ebay and finished it off. I think some of the wrinkles in the stitching were due to my inexperience with the machine but overall I am happy with this.

Another thing this car has, assume it was fitted from new, is a double sided interior mirror. At night to cut dazzle from the rear, the mirror can be rotated on its ball joint so the other mirror is used that subdues the reflection.
Ps so glad the picture problem has been solved.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
And these are my lovely Bakelite sun visors in place. Good excuse to get the dark brown Cherry Blossom out. I have never seen any others in these cars but then its not surprising as they are mostly tucked away out of sight.

And there is the double sided interior mirror.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Well thats it for now. Its all together although I need to redo some paintwork when I get the chance. Got to sell my very original 1953 e493a Prefect as I'm moving house and garage to West Wales and need a bit more space plus two old cars will be enough. I dont plan on any more projects but you never know what will turn up when you are not looking.........................

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Well, contrary to the above, I have another project on the go. I am modifying a Reliant Robin gearbox to fit in one of my Ford engined sidevalves to give it an extra cog. So far I have chopped the bell housing and made a new flange. I have re-sited the clutch lifter cross shaft from above to below the main shaft. I have made a replacement back end bearing housing that is Reliant facing forward and Ford facing backwards. This unit has taken about a week of turning and drilling plus hours of thinking and sketching. Currently, I am making the rear mounting brackets in a steel angle welded fabrication. I am hopeful the finished assembly will fit in place with minimum disruption but it will need engine moved forward, probably about half an inch.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
I managed to buy a good original one on but they seem very rare now as haven't seen another.
Will try to post some pictures here but I have trouble as my orevious attempts brought up a message that I need some other software such as flash player. The box is close to finishing, all welding done, all machining done, just assembling the i ternals now. If no joy with pictures here will look out your email and send them. Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #100 (Edited)
Reliant gearbox for a Ford sidevalve

Reliant gearbox modified to fit a Ford upright sidevalve engine. First picture is the finished job, sorry its inverted. Second picture is the stage where the reliant bell housing has been removed and assessing how much to remove to allow the new aluminium flange less a machining allowance after welding.
Third picture is the gearbox shell set in lathe to machine the bell housing.

Attachments

81 - 100 of 101 Posts