Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Cadillac fanatic
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres a question for you Tri nut's

My brother had a 57 2 door Sport Coupe which was imported back in 1987, it was an old Ex race car of the 60's / 70's called " Straight Shooter " the car is still in the UK, and looks the nuts now, not a patch on it's former guise.

Does anyone know of this car or have pic's of it stateside in it's hayday....?

If someone comes up with a picture, I will tell you which one of the many 57's it is in our mist....:incheek:

·
Cadillac fanatic
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It is possible that this car may have run a straight six in its racing days. " Straight Shooter " was a name given to six pot racers.

When the car was imported, it had slightly altered rear quarters, NOT radiused, but NOT original either, it was black with a white roof from memory, had one seat and a center over driver only roll cage fitted, the name was painted all the way down the side.

The car was in a bad way when it was imported, it came from a breakers yard, it looked like it had been smashed in the front. When it was in the yard it had NO front fitted, but it came with both wings, front panel, bumper and a bonnet off of other cars.

I have tried for years to find this car in old pictures, it must have been a known car in the states.... :D

·
[url=http://www.nobrain.d
14,365 Posts
Spencer did he ever run it in the UK in its original form when it was imported :?:

Don't tell us straightaway give it time so others can see this post…:tup:

Since Rods n sods started all I've done is look for photos that Si, as got a lot to answers for…Right Ken.. :twisted:

Bob........

Ps which state was it imported from ????????

·
Banjo snapper.
3,507 Posts
Spencer, does it now have polished Centrelines & a "wrong" engine?

·
Cadillac fanatic
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Up until about 16 months ago, part of the interior had been hanging on a tree in Bromley, it had been there for well over 15 years to the best of my knowledge...:D, there is now a block of flats there

It was the upper piece of the rear interior trim, black and silver fleck.... funny what get left hanging about EH:

·
Cadillac fanatic
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When my brother bought it, he just had plans of leaving it like a street racer, driving it in grey primer with an alloy interior, he spent a few months sorting stuff out on it, fitted a ropey old 283 and powerglide in it and a set of 5 spoke cragers on it.

To be honest it did looks quite cool, but then someone offered him good money on it, and he sold it.

The guy who bought it was a mate of his, he spent a few years doing it up, he had intentions of restoring it properly, putting all the interior back in and a better engine, the new owner worked in a bodyshop too which ment he had the right gear to sort the body out and the space too.

He fitted new lower rear quarters, and ironed out much of the body, but sadly sold it on again before he ever managed to get it on the road. :incheek:

·
Cadillac fanatic
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did it spend some time in Harrow?
Not sure if it was in Harrow Steve, it might have been...?

It was in kent between 1987 and 2004, but I have no idea where it went after that.

Not too sure if the guy who got it on the road is still the owner now, or if it has changed hands again

Anyone found any pictures yet....?

·
Cadillac fanatic
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have trawled the net for ages and NOT managed to find any pic's of this car in it's glory days.

I have a feeling that it would have run in " NHRA Junior Stock ", it had the same sort of stance and flavour that Junior Stock's displayed back in the 60's and 70's.

Food for thought..............

·
Cadillac fanatic
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is a picture of the exact car, this is what it looked like when my brother had it.....

He put the car in grey primer, fitted the knackered 283 and got the car up and running

But as I said earlier, he sold it before getting anymore into it

·
Cadillac fanatic
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
OK..... after several weeks of looking, I still have not found a single picture of this car in the states on a drag strip, so to end the suspense....

Here is the car as it is today.......

Maybe one of you knows who owns it now, and or where it is, if it is still in the UK, and more importantly, is it still on the road......?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts