Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonder if anyone can help, I've finally taken the plunge and bought the bike I've had a yearning for for years, a Yamaha VMax. What set me off on this was an article in Street Machine back in, I believe, 1987? Unfortunately I've passed my back issue collection on to someone on here a few years ago so I was hoping some one could hopefully scan it and put it up or at least let me know which issue I need to find on fleabay? It was a shoot out between the 'Max and the legendary Steve Green MK1 Cortina, can't even remeber who won, doh!

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
I remember the feature but I can't remember which issue, sorry. You're right around the year though. Just found this little snippet:

'During the winter months of 1987 and 1988, Street Machine staged an unusual showdown between Steve Green's 3.5 litre Cortina against a 1.2 litre Yamaha V-Max rated, at the time, one of the world's most powerful production bikes at Santa Pod.

The bike was owned by North London garage proprietor Noel Purcell and for this challenge had originally asked British Top Fuel rider of LA Hooker fame, Rod Pallant to ride it. However, Pallant couldn't make the date so they entrusted the bike to fellow fuel rider Steve Woollatt.'

'n the first run Green immediately took the lead and surged to an 11.2/127.8 mph win against a creditable 11.81 at 114.4 mph shakedown from Woollatt. In the next dual Green again took command to take the win at 11.04 to Woollatt's 11.83. They eventually got the bike down to an 11.46/121.3 mph after removing the exhaust pipe, and on a cold and damp day Steve managed a best of 11.02 at 126.5 mph.'

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,142 Posts
Weird, was only talking about that article today while looking at a V Max at a show .

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
supercharge it, do it do it.

Fritz Egli did :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts