Rods 'n' Sods banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Full Time Metal Junkie
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Be warned it may be lengthy...............................:rolleyes:
This will help you make bends and curves in flat metal with common tools.
This is a 1 inch strip of 18 gauge cold roll 1008 series, notice the bottom that touches the bench is as flat and in full contact....

Now to create a smooth curve in this we will stretch the the bottom edge.

I'm holding the metal down on a hard metal surface this don't have to be an anvil it can be a the back of your vice a length of angle iron anything hard enough to stretch with.
I hit on the very outer edge of the metal which thins it out rapidly,as it thins it spreads out side ways and seeks the least resistance .
After several hits 20 or 30 or so here are the results.

They are obvious....

Now lets go the other way by hammering on the opposite edge.

Now this is by stretching the outer edge and easily done, but what happens when you want to shrink..........Next :):)

·
Full Time Metal Junkie
248 Posts
OK so we know to stretch we have to thin out so to shrink we have to gather.
Gathering is a tiny bit trickier<--------is that a real word)) to gather you will be thickening the area which will draw the metal from the surounding areas.
Now to do this with out a shrinker we will have to make a ruffel in our metal.

I used my vice jaw slightly opened and taped the very edge with the chisel end of my hammer to make a sort of dent, I continued to make a few more.
Now that I have the ruffels I want to trap them, this was done simply by clamping it to a piece of angle iron so the outer edges can't move back out.

You can already see the two very outer edges near the clamps have moved closer to each other. Now we need to drive the ruffels back into themselves.
The important thing is that wwe don't hit them to hard restretching the area.
I like to do this with a home made slapper.

sorry for the poor photo but any way the arrows dictate the direction of blows by my slapper. I drive each ruffle which looks like half an icecream cone starting at th pointed end and with side to side slaps they thicken.
Here are the results.

·
Full Time Metal Junkie
248 Posts
Now we can step it up a knotch and lets do it with a 90 bend in the panel

Same as before we are concentrating on the outside edge of the panel.

You can see results very quickly..................

This is just one way of moving the metal to fit panels without having to cut and weld. It dose take practice and finding were you have to shrink or stretch is easy to find by using paper, which I will show in another post.....:)

·
Full Time Metal Junkie
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys
I hope that some of this if not all , will help you sometime, during a repair, or even give you that bit of an edge when doing to basic panel work. I really can help you better understand what metal will do when you are using different techniques. Thank you for looking :happy:

·
Registered
437 Posts
superb . any tips on joining wheel tub top to inner side panel ? i can roll the tubs but cant make my mind up how to join the 2 together .

rob

·
Full Time Metal Junkie
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hi Rob
Well in this photo below:

you can apply the same method to a larger panel.
However this does depend on how the inside panel it attaches to whether it folows true or moves in and out .
I will dig up some examples :

See how the edge meets flat against the frame rail, thats an edge that runs true threw the whole attachment.

Were yours may wonder in and out, making it so you have to change the direction of your edge or flange.
Post a photo if possible , if not I can come up with a good example on how to tip an edge that will follow nicely. :D

·
Registered
437 Posts
my chassis rails are straight/flat . i have a set of rolls to roll the tub but not sure how to roll the edge to meet the upright panel without making to much damage to the tub . your intro post is what im after but a bit more detail

rob

·
Cadillac fanatic
890 Posts
Great threads Prometalshop,
always nice to see a tradesmen at work, I love working with metal, and seeing someone else's ways always helps, cant wait to see more stuff from you, it makes great reading.... Well done mate

Thanks for taking the time to post your tech, when people like you show us how to do it, it does inspire others to have a go, so keep up the good work. :tup:

·
Premium Member
7,340 Posts
my chassis rails are straight/flat . i have a set of rolls to roll the tub but not sure how to roll the edge to meet the upright panel without making to much damage to the tub . your intro post is what im after but a bit more detail

rob
hi rob
do the curve on the upright panel and not the tub.
its so much easier.
mark out youre half circle to size and then put the curve in.
you can either hammer over a wood template with the curve routed in or use a hammer and a peice of bent tube held in a vice as a dolly.
then fix this to youre rail and lay the rolled tub over the top.do it slightly oversize for trimming and mark from below and cut.easy weld then grind of.

if you put the curve into the tub it will become really stiff and youre have no play to open it out if need be to match the curve of the upright.

nice tech btw mr prometalshop

·
Full Time Metal Junkie
248 Posts
Thank you Nobody
I have seen your work and you make it look easy , :rule: I have used both way's to do tubs.

I was not aware until I viewed Robs photo's he was building a rectangular tube chassis. :oops:
I was picturing a stock inner panel that was being closed off. as would be a inner and outer wheel housing.
Your way of doing the inner panel would be much more obtainable for Ron's application.
With that said Let me show a very small piece I made , I have maybe 20 minutes in it so it's not perfect ..... :0

Now see how the shape was obtained by stretching one flange and and shrinking on the other. I have done this on full size panels and it works well.
Now Ron's application would not need both flanges but I just wanted to demonstrate the flange could actually be on both sides and still form a radii.
Again with a rectangular chassis and a flat radius sheet, cut , and an edge tipped over in a buck would be far less work than stretching an edge to follow a radii....

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
another excellent thread :tup: thanks for taking the time to post .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts