Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, got a 52 reg mini one and number one plug blow out striping the threads,big problem is the plug is right down a deep hole, looks like will need some sort of special tool as I don't want to take the head off .? Gaz:(

·
Registered
345 Posts
even if you get a spark plug repair kit i would do it head of if any of the cuttings from the repair get into the cylinder its not gonna do the cylinder much good, best of luck

·
Registered
336 Posts
I had the same on my Sons old Rover 214. I bought a helicoil spark plug repair kit off ebay. I put that cyliner up at tdc and used the kit as specified. But I cocked up the first go as the tang on the helicoil did not snap off properly. So I pulled it out and made up a new tool from a pair of very long nosed pliers so they would get down the hole. I also tickled the notches on the helicoil to make them a bit thinner. Second time around the coil went in ok and the tang snapped off ok.

I then fitted a bit of 6mm copper pipe to the air hose and put it in the bore at 100psi to blow any swarf out of the plug hole. Then I taped a piece of 6mm silicon hose onto the Henry and wiggled it around in the bore to see if I could suck up any swarf. I then took all the plugs out and cranked the motor for a few mins. The engine went on to do another 6000 miles before we flogged it on ebay.

The bottom line is that it was an old shitter that cost 100 quid so we were not bothered it if worked or not. Luckily it worked just fine. If the car was worth some money I may have taken some more care about clearing out any swarf?

·
Registered
891 Posts
If you turn the engine over to the correct place you can get the inlet valve to open on that cylinder, then put an airline on the inlet manifold, then blow the air in, and it will blow out of the spark plug hole, then when tapping the swarf will blow out of the hole, easy peasy then screw in a spark plug insert with thread lock on the threads and your done

1 - 7 of 7 Posts