Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weather in Florida has changed almost overnight, from a cool winter to 90+ every day. I know that the May Bank Holiday in the UK was a bit cool but too hot can be just as bad. The one good thing about hot weather is that early morning starts are a luxury. I was showered, made coffee, filled an ice box with drinks and was on the road before 7 with the sun just coming up the outside temp gauge read 79!
It was Dick's turn to drive so I went up to his place and parked up, Dick being American was already up and waiting and smoking a cigar at 7:30! I loaded up my stuff and forgot the ice box! We went in his old S10 Blazer, a great running truck.
We drove north on Interstate 75 stopping for a McDonalds Bacon and Cheese Biscuit and more coffee. After exiting the Interstate at State Road 50 we went through the Withlacoochee State Forest, it's just another swamp only with trees.
There are two Junk Yards at a junction called Tarry Town and every time we drive by we say "we must come up here when they are open" every fooking time!
We drove through Webster where there was a new business selling old cars, we had a quick look but no COPOs LOL.
The Swap Meet was in full swing and huge, I hope the pics give you a flavour.

FIRST SOME CARS, TRUCKS AND PROJECTS FOR SALE

SOME OF THE MORE INERESTING JUNK ON SALE

EVERYONE'S GARAGE SHOULD HAVE ONE OF THESE, AN IRONWORKER

AND A FEW FROM THE CAR SHOW

AS A 'TAILPIECE' THESE THREE GUYS HAD JUST BOUGHT A GOOD MODEL 'A' CHASSIS, I WONDER WHAT IT WILL BE LIKE IN A YEARS TIME!

Rog.

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So didja buy anything Rog? the Comet looked a good project!!!
No although there is always something worthwhile at Sumter. I'm looking at something this weekend, i've got an engine that I want to bring back and it makes financial sense to stick it in something.

Rog.

·
capriac
1,810 Posts
No although there is always something worthwhile at Sumter. I'm looking at something this weekend, i've got an engine that I want to bring back and it makes financial sense to stick it in something.

Rog.
Well I believe you Rog :incheek: Not just an excuse to get another ride then!!!!! Another autojumble the weekend??

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I believe you Rog :incheek: Not just an excuse to get another ride then!!!!! Another autojumble the weekend??
No that was my last Swapmeet this trip, it's Mother's Day here on Sunday so NASCAR's on Saturday night, them 'good ole boys' don't race on Mother's Day. It's another Buck a Beer NASCAR night in the local so i'm sorted! I would have liked to have been at Drayton although the weather looks cool to say the least.

Cheers, Rog.

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SNAP.....Wow how spooky is that, I remember someone saying that they would be there for the May Swapmeet and I half thought that I may see somebody.
It's my favourite car do, it may not be as big as Zipperhills but it's got a unique atmosphere, the guy that I go up there with bought an autographed photo of John Wayne!!!
Are you still in Florida? Another Rods'n'Soder and me are going to Sunshine Dragstrip on Wednesday night.

Rog.

·
capriac
1,810 Posts
No that was my last Swapmeet this trip, it's Mother's Day here on Sunday so NASCAR's on Saturday night, them 'good ole boys' don't race on Mother's Day. It's another Buck a Beer NASCAR night in the local so i'm sorted! I would have liked to have been at Drayton although the weather looks cool to say the least.

Cheers, Rog.
Yeah Rog, weather here has taken a turn to the cold again! Where is the race Saturday night?, Thought Montoya had a big chance at the last race I watched on SKY!

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah Rog, weather here has taken a turn to the cold again! Where is the race Saturday night?, Thought Montoya had a big chance at the last race I watched on SKY!
It's Darlington tonight, the Southern 500. The coverage on the Fox Channel is very good but nothing compares to the good old BBC's F1 and an English Sunday dinner!

Rog.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Been to Sumter a couple of times for the early January meet, couldn't believe the amount of cars and parts available, and it was real hot.

·
gas hog
261 Posts
SNAP.....Wow how spooky is that, I remember someone saying that they would be there for the May Swapmeet and I half thought that I may see somebody.
It's my favourite car do, it may not be as big as Zipperhills but it's got a unique atmosphere, the guy that I go up there with bought an autographed photo of John Wayne!!!
Are you still in Florida? Another Rods'n'Soder and me are going to Sunshine Dragstrip on Wednesday night.

Rog.
rog, wish i was there but i took that pic back in september, the blue roadrunner is obviously a regular contender there, hopefully be there towards end of year, have fun at sunshine strip and be sure to call in to the bodyshop just before the entrance and see if that hemi is ready for the strip :tup:

·
Registered
393 Posts
:dodger, when the fcuk you coming home ,i am sick and tired of those sunshine pictures.when i am freezing my nuts off.:smoke::smoke::smoke:
bazza

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:dodger, when the fcuk you coming home ,i am sick and tired of those sunshine pictures.when i am freezing my nuts off.:smoke::smoke::smoke:
bazza
Sorry Barry, I know that it has been a bit cool in the UK of late but if it were down to me I would be there suffering with you. You know what wives are like with beaches and such, I have very little say in the matter but it is getting a bit too warm now so back home next week perhaps!

Rog.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts