Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im a bit wierd in the fact im fasinated by clouds......

not just fin rain clouds though...:shake:

stuff like this.

the point of this thread is to let you know of this website.
its full of amazing images from space to earth and vice versa.

not just stars and clouds but all sorts inc...........

like i said its something you may be into or the kids even?..
every picture has a description underneath it.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap091004.html

hope you like?

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

my heads blown away with stuuf under the clouds....above them,..:shake:

Sid.

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ever look at the Clouds and think have faces of people within them?
i believe thats a trate of human beings in general not just clouds?

you obviously do...:D

i see em in allsorts..:lol:

Sid.

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
I've never really been into stars and the like untill recently where on any clear nite i can actually see orions belt (and associated stars) as clear as anything

But i alwys have had a niggleing question ..............if everything in life has a begining, a middle and an end ...............where does space end ?

If space is the final frontear ...........wheres it's nose ?

why do we know more about the stars n plants than we do about our own seas ?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Friend of mine took this while she was living in the Rockies near Calgary a few years ago. Not a brilliant photo, but you get the idea, she reckoned sunrises like this were a regular thing...

·
My name is Martin
2,615 Posts
Those clouds are brilliant!

I like the moon. I need to get a telescope as this is as close as I can get with my camera.

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ive known about this site for a few years now,
exellent pics and info, ive spent ages on there.....:smoke:

still cant find out "how fast the dark is"...........:D

so im going back to find stuff thatll really blow ya mind.....:twisted:

see ya in a couple of light years!!...:lol:

Sid.

keep the pics n stuff coming....:tup:

·
Registered
872 Posts
You'll like this one Sid:

If you used a single grain of salt to represent a single star, then the stars you can actually see with the naked eye would amount to about a tablespoonful. But if you wanted to represent all the stars in the sky, you'd need a ball of salt 8 miles in diameter.

Big old place we live in eh..... ;)

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

If you used a single grain of salt to represent a single star, then the stars you can actually see with the naked eye would amount to about a tablespoonful. But if you wanted to represent all the stars in the sky, you'd need a ball of salt 8 miles in diameter.

unbelievable isnt it?............:mooooh:

cool pics btw..

check this little lot out, if anyone want the explanation ive saved the pages in me favs, give me a nod...:tup:

right if you saw this floating over your house youde think???.........:shock:

o dear!!....................:wave:

these are amazing......REAL pics!...

Sid.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts

yeah and how big does that make us?
not very eh

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
like i said... under the clouds is hard enough to get my head round....:beuj:

as long as weve been looking we still havnt found the end of space.
:mooooh::mooooh::mooooh::scared::scared::S:S

why is hard enough to get your head round!...:beuj:

Sid.

·
Registered
280 Posts
One of the big advantages of living on Exmoor is the very low level of light pollution, one of only a couple of places in this Island with a real view of the stars. We often stop on our way home at night (Yeah,yeah!)to look at the sky, fabulous...
And being into a sailing of the oceans, I also enjoy the study of clouds and weather formations

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
right one more thing on this tonight when cos im pissed.

sussed this at york last year pissed up................:S

nexyt time the stars are out put your hands round the side of your head, like blinkers and youll see 20 times more stars than youll see without...trust me you mightfel like a twat but its worth the effort...:woohoo:
Sid.

·
Registered
872 Posts
still cant find out "how fast the dark is"...........:D
Been pondering on this one mate. I reckon it's instantaneous - the one thing that is faster than light. Cos think about it, light travels at a fixed speed (176,000 miles a second), so even when you switch your light on, there's a small fraction of time before it travels from the bulb to all the corners of the room (or eight and a half minutes for the light to reach us from the sun, or four and half years from the nearest star). But once you switch the light off, that's it, instant blackness, as soon as there's no light, it's just dark. And if all the stars suddenly went out, it wouldn't take any time for darkness to spread, it'd just be there, everywhere. So the speed of dark must take no time at all, as soon as there's no light, it instantly fills everything.

Next question please :D:D:D

·
Registered
280 Posts
Been pondering on this one mate. I reckon it's instantaneous - the one thing that is faster than light. Cos think about it, light travels at a fixed speed (176,000 miles a second), so even when you switch your light on, there's a small fraction of time before it travels from the bulb to all the corners of the room (or eight and a half minutes for the light to reach us from the sun, or four and half years from the nearest star). But once you switch the light off, that's it, instant blackness, as soon as there's no light, it's just dark. And if all the stars suddenly went out, it wouldn't take any time for darkness to spread, it'd just be there, everywhere. So the speed of dark must take no time at all, as soon as there's no light, it instantly fills everything.

Next question please :D:D:D
Yeah, I'm not quite conviced here,-there are several things to take into account which you havn't mentioned, such as residual and reflected light that is still bouncing around after the source has been switched off, for example many of the stars we see each time we look are in fact no longer there, having burned out/exploded light years ago. Should we also consider whether dark is the polar opposite of light and therefore its properties will be a negative of the properties of light.... so perhaps the question should be 'how slow is dark?', and we might conclude -176000 miles per second:S

1 - 20 of 25 Posts