Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a Sun Twintune carb airflow balancer kit. It is made by Gray Horwood and looks like a real good set of kit but no instructions were included. I get the general idea of how it works using orifice plates and differential pressure measurement/ comparison. There are several sets of adaptors and some coloured washers that I am not so sure of. Has anyone got one of these with instructions who could copy me a set or alternatively give me a better idea from experience. Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Instruction sheet for Gray Harwood Synchronizer

You may already have the instructions but if not I have an instruction sheet for a Gray Horwood Engineering synchroniser and the full kit as new (bought it to tune my MG but sold the car not long after). The instructions that came with the synchroniser is a one pager dated October 1968. Tried to upload to the site but can't see how to attach a pdf so attached two pictures. The kit has two gauges with three different rubber adaptors and three sets of two colored orifice plates.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I still havent used it so will have another look and see if I can work it out. I wanted to check the engine running before I took it out of the donor car but 'management' decided she wanted the car off the front bay quicker than I had planned. I should need it in the spring (UK) Doesn't appear the pictures came through. Maybe easier to email the pics to me direct. I will pm my email address. Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If dfaz is still on here maybe he can help or anyone else. Believe this - I have just got round to trying this kit and much is ok thanks to info privided by dfaz. Just one thing, there is an extra gauge with a 'D' on the clock face. What is this for? Can anyone help?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Instruction sheet for Gray Harwood Synchronizer

You may already have the instructions but if not I have an instruction sheet for a Gray Horwood Engineering synchroniser and the full kit as new (bought it to tune my MG but sold the car not long after). The instructions that came with the synchroniser is a one pager dated October 1968. Tried to upload to the site but can't see how to attach a pdf so attached two pictures. The kit has two gauges with three different rubber adaptors and three sets of two colored orifice plates.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I came across your old post. Do you still have your carb balancer. I'm looking for one. If you still have the kit then if you are interested in selling it then I would be interested. there was one for sale a short time ago but I missed it. Look forward to hearing from you Colin

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes still got it Colin. I think its something that is handy if you have twin carbs as I still do. I have heard that a tube held to the ear to detect the air flow noise can be just as useful. I seem to recall a vacuum gauge could be used so no need to remove air filters but would need to arrange connection points and a way of switching the gauge from one carb to other unless you have two matched gauges.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I have heard that a tube held to the ear to detect the air flow noise can be just as useful.
I tuned twin SU's like that for years, always with good results. Kept the tube in the same ear and moved the other end between the same place on the 2 carbs and you really can tell the difference. Eventually bought a Crypton balancer, only used it once, to check that after balancing a set with the tube they were correct. They were, and the balancer has stayed in the box since. Still nice to have it I suppose. It is possible that doing them with the tube has contributed to my tinnitus though.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts