Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This car has a very long history documented elsewhere, but as it has been invited to go on the Midget and Sprite Club stand at The Classic Car Show NEC I thought a refurb was needed.........

So it was stripped down and new doors bought

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Then the bonnet and bodywork was tidied up and rubbed down. I decided to reduce the underbonnet "clutter" so have cut out the two bonnet hinge boxes so that I can hide the fuse box and windscreen wiper motor.

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They delivered the car back to me on Thursday and so I have been putting it back together - starting at the back

and then to the front with a new grille

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
But today I was able to push it out into the sunshine...............

To say that I'm pleased with the paintwork is an understatment! It really "Pops" in the sunlight. The paint is Mazda Black Cherry Mica

·
richard rawlplug
8,147 Posts
not long now phil......will have to have a look at this on saturday.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Bloody hell Phil,that looks absolutely stunning,can't wait to see it in the flesh.:tup:

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Guys - and Guy! You are quite right it was time to give my frog a real treat. I finally had a bit of car money as I sold my 8V Sprint last week.

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice Phil......:tup:how long did the rebuild take and whats the engine and drive train spec.....

Bob...
Hi Bob
I only really started in Mid Oct as I had to get my Sprint MoT'd and on e bay! The engine is a fairly standard SD1 with cleaned up ports and a Crane 234 hydraulic cam. I had fitted 4x 36 IDFs but changed to 40 IDFs in Oct. Last year I ran with the twin 34 DGAS carbs on the aluminium Hi Rise manifold (ex Pro Rover BGT "Super B"). The clutch is standard Rover, Rover 4 speed manual gearbox and Ford Anglia back axle.

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After a hectic few days, and loading disaster, I got the Super Sprite V8 to the NEC - and it was great to meet a few RnS there as well.

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update
Well the Sprite had been photographed mid year and the article has appeared in this months "Retro Cars" magazine.
Fame and fortune .....have not yet followed - but it was a good feature.

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I realised that I had intended to upload this but obviously didn't!
Re The Super Sprite V8 feature in the December issue of Retro Cars Magazine. For those who didn't buy a copy here are the pages........

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Cracking!! My dad was on about your car and seeing it back in the day. Thanks one again for a piece of racing history!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Well done phil great reward for all the hard work:tup:

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the kind comments (Although talk of "my Dad" CC41 makes me feel somewhat old!!):sniff:.
I have topped up the antifreeze in the Sprite ready for the winter, - although it is in store, in my workplace, it does get cold inside overnight.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Thanks for the kind comments (Although talk of "my Dad" CC41 makes me feel somewhat old!!):sniff:.
I have topped up the antifreeze in the Sprite ready for the winter, - although it is in store, in my workplace, it does get cold inside overnight.
I think my old man's got some photos of it somewhere. I'm only 23 and he's 59. If I find some photos I'll get them on here.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts