Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hopefully you guys may be able to help??
I bought an eaton 45 (m62 will not fit under bonnet) to bolt on my 16v 4 pot, I built the engine to run NA but got bored, the eaton was cheap and I like fettling so thought Id have a go at FI, not after mad boost as the 45 isn't big enough for that and with a CR of 10.5:1 wont handle much anyways.

My problem is pulleys... I bought one of those powergrip pulley setups (for pinto) and got an extra (xflow) alternator pulley to fit to the charger (now geared at 2:1)
So all ancillaries and charger are going to run from the one belt. Its an L type belt and I dont think its gonna be up to the job..
Is there anywhere that I could maybe send the pulleys to have a sleeve of a heavier duty pitch tooth put on??
What type of belt would be up to it???
Many Thanks

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
Wouldn't have thought you needed to go to all the trouble of getting your existing pulleys sleeved. The Gates design manual for toothed belts is here http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=powergrip%20l%20type%20belt&source=web&cd=4&sqi=2&ved=0CGsQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmotors-engineering.com%2Freductors%2Fdocs%2Fpowergripdesignmanual17195.pdf&ei=s-rZTrGcLYK38gPc36jsDQ&usg=AFQjCNGnHW6tenvC--9oFarJXXWHdR1_jA&cad=rja The design manual has the pitch the and width Vs. max power for each belt. Once you've found a pitch and width you're happy with, you should be able to get matching Pulleys from Brammer BSL Brammer UK Ltd - Pulleys - or any other power train supplier. If you go for the taper bush mounting type of pulley you should find adapters off the shelf that are spot on for most of your spindles.

HTH

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers stueeee, as the crank has an edis 36-1 trigger and the water pump has 4 hole mounting I thought that finding same items in a heavier style belt would be a real task hence sleeving the existing pulleys. Thanks for the links, there a lot of reading on that gates one!..

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Cheers stueeee, as the crank has an edis 36-1 trigger and the water pump has 4 hole mounting I thought that finding same items in a heavier style belt would be a real task hence sleeving the existing pulleys. Thanks for the links, there a lot of reading on that gates one!..
We run exactly the same set up as that (4 years on a pinto, then changed to the Cosworth in 2008/9), and use a 6PK multi "V" belt for alternator and blower (on the pinto it ran all the pulleys inc the water pump). Made up a seperate small "V" belt pulley set up for the water pump. The 36-1 ring is attached to the rear of the crank pulley (specially made to match up with the standard blower pulley).
You need to check out this link....... CAPA : Eaton Superchargers It shows that after a certain blower rpm, it can't phisically move any more air. We have ours set up to produce maximum cfm at 6000 engine rpm, so pulls from next to nothing.
What sort of balance valve do you have?

Heres a couple of pictures, don't think you can see much though. I'll see if I've got some better ones.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi Phunkie Hiboy From the link it looks like an m45 running 5psi is gonna need 18ish HP to drive, i doubt my L belt will stand the task.... might go back to the serpentine option, your serpentine crank pulley must be quite big??

What cams you got in there? I built the YB to run NA but the cams are mild for na, 288 duration

What CR you got?

what boost does it make?

what management you running?

I have a 50mm tial (cheap Chinese rip off type) BOV to open via closed throttle vacuum... what you got??

sorry for all the Qs but I'm new to all this and you have what im after!!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
hi Phunkie Hiboy From the link it looks like an m45 running 5psi is gonna need 18ish HP to drive, i doubt my L belt will stand the task.... might go back to the serpentine option, your serpentine crank pulley must be quite big??

What cams you got in there? I built the YB to run NA but the cams are mild for na, 288 duration

What CR you got?

what boost does it make?

what management you running?

I have a 50mm tial (cheap Chinese rip off type) BOV to open via closed throttle vacuum... what you got??

sorry for all the Qs but I'm new to all this and you have what im after!!

Thanks
This was the set up for the pinto.............................

d
This was using standard Ford pulleys.......... Dohc crank pulley, bored out to fit pinto crank........ Water pump pulley from a Mondeo zetec. So the crank pulley dia is 135mm and the blower 72mm, gives 1.9:1 overdriven blower. This with a standard injection Pinto.
On to the Cosworth, Crank pulley needed to be bigger (same as the standard Merc 180 one the blower came from)165mm and the blower the same gives 2.3:1 overdriven blower.
Cosworth was 2wd pistons and a 4wd head all standard inc cams, 40 thou Comtec head gasket. 36-1 and wasted spark, so no edis. CR unknown. Because the crank pulley is now too large to run the water pump, a seperate small single "V" belt drive was used, from the crank to water pump. The inlet we're running is a preproduction Swedish style cast Allard unit
We're running Megasquirt at present and on their chassis dyn, at 8lbs boost it was making about 180 at the wheels ( about the same as a standard cosworth) But 270ftlbs of torque.
The balance valve we use is a Magnason stand alone (about $85)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some really nice work there. I reckon my YB in NA form is pushing 180+ bhp so doubt the 45 will actually flow enough to give much boost. Aiming for a good increase in torque tho, I'll get it running and see how it goes and keep a spare belt on board incase it snaps.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Some really nice work there. I reckon my YB in NA form is pushing 180+ bhp so doubt the 45 will actually flow enough to give much boost. Aiming for a good increase in torque tho, I'll get it running and see how it goes and keep a spare belt on board incase it snaps.
We weren't looking to make any more power than standard (somewhere between 200 and 220 at the flywheel, about 180/190 at the wheels) and that's what we've done and in a car the weight of a basic fiesta it's quite lively. What we were looking for is some more low down torque, and that's what we've also achieved.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah mines all up top power so hopefully might get a bit of low grunt with this..

what gear box you got on T5? I just went with a T9 as I had one anyways.. dont think it will handle the extra power tbh. on the look out for a V6 T9 as they are more robust apparently.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
yeah mines all up top power so hopefully might get a bit of low grunt with this..

what gear box you got on T5? I just went with a T9 as I had one anyways.. dont think it will handle the extra power tbh. on the look out for a V6 T9 as they are more robust apparently.
A4ld 4 speed auto built with all cosworth V6 geartrain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts