Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just refitted the original A arms back on the 67 camaro ,with QA1 front shocks and springs,now when driving forward the car raises up at the front about 3/4", when braking drops back down,when going in in reverse it goes down ,brake comes back up,remember seeing this on a hot rod but dammed if i can remember the cause.

If i push the car down by hand it comes back up ,the springs are for a big block and the engine is small block ,this did not happen when i had the A arms that i made fitted.

·
I'm a grown up drunk!
2,662 Posts
Obviously do all the normal checks first like castor,camber and tracking,
with those new bushes in the a-arms ideally the locating bolts should be only be tightened when the car is at ride height due to the bonded-in bush possibly being in bind,

loosen all the a-arm bolts that pass through the bushes, bounce the car several times at ride height then lock the bolts up.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The arms have energy suspension bushes and have been tightened when at ride height,but i did soften the damping down to 3rd from lowest setting ,so will tighten the damping and re set the bushes again,it moves up like when
you see a gasser etc leaves the lights at a drag strip.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok reset and tighten bushes ,when it moves forward the top of the tyres go out \ / and front goes out \ / ,and when i jack it up,when going backwards the top of the tyres go in / \ and front goes to back to facing straight ,so when looking from front the wheels go up in an arc ( ) this seems to be bump steer which does not make sense as it not using the original a arms .

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I would remove the shocks completely as they have no effect on what you are now describing. Jack it up and down and see what the toe does. The wheels do move in an arc(I,m assuming this is an unequal length double wishbone front end?).but it sounds like you are getting some serious bump steer which is odd if they are stock arms??
Have you changed/modified the rack or mounting?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts